Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Movies (1925) - Lloyd Hamilton Dir: Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle

Offline metaldams

This is my first time ever reviewing a film from Lloyd Hamilton.  I decided to do a silent first, in maybe a month or so I plan on reviewing one of the talkies Geno Cuddy just put up on YouTube as well.  But in case you guys are uninitiated, I wanted to start you off with a silent.

So who is Lloyd Hamilton?  Started out as half of a comedy team in the teens known as Ham and Bud, Bud being Bud Duncan.  Went solo in the late teens, first at Fox and then in 1920, moving on to Educational Pictures (You remember the Buster shorts? That Educational.), where he’d spend the majority of the rest of his career, which expanded until his death in 1935, at the ripe old age of 43.  15 days older than me as I type this.  Died after a stomach operation, sadly had severe alcohol issues.

As far as how to view the works of Lloyd Hamilton in the big picture - here’s the problem.  The vast majority of his work is lost.  I’ve seen about ten or twelve silents, don’t know how much more is out there.  Apparently there was a big fire in Fox Studios in 1937 where most of films got destroyed.  Fortunately, THE MOVIES from 1925 is not one of them.  Written and directed by William Goodrich, a pseudonym for the now banned Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle. 

Hamilton was admired by Chaplin, Keaton and his former director, Charley Chase.  The latter, when stuck for inspiration, would think what Ham would do.  Hamilton was slightly chubby but not overly fat.  He wore close that were too small, had a baby face and a tough guy face at the same time.  He moved very lightly and could be shy, yet could knock you out and be deceptive if need be.  He made fantastic facial reactions, at times similar to Oliver Hardy.  He just had the look and movement of a great clown, that “it” factor.  It’s a shame we’ll probably never know how good he truly was since so much is lost, but what exists shows a lot of promise.  Let’s discuss THE MOVIES.

The films starts out with Ham as a young man living in a real small town.  He’s about to go to the city to make it big when his parents warn him to stay away from the movies.  Ham’s journey into the city literally involves walking a few steps away from his country home.  All of the sudden, he’s on a big city street.  This is a very similar gag The Three Stooges later used in CACTUS MAKES PERFECT.

Ham on the street right away is confused, walking out on the street into traffic in direct contrast to the orders from the traffic cop.  There is a big crowd of people on the sidewalk that Hamilton seems to be completely out of step with the same way Langdon is with the rest of the world.  It’s 1925, the influence is possible.  However, any perceived Langdon influences evaporates when Ham all of the sudden pretends to be blind, getting the cop to help him cross the street.

Ham then gets into a great rivalry with Arthur Thalasso, who he bumps into on the street.  It seems Thalasso has the upper hand when all of the sudden, Ham knocks him out right in front of the hospital.  A great example of Hamilton being mostly timid, but able to be rough when necessary.  That came out of nowhere.  Nice topper when he rings the hospital bell and walks away.  Also a part when Hamilton is deceptive, knocking a hat off a police officer with Thalasso next to him.  Hamilton then falls to the ground, making it look like Thalasso knocked the hat off and knocked Hamilton down.  Again, an example of Ham being clever and deceptive.

At one point, he sees some bathing beauties go into a restaurant, so he naturally follows them with curiosity.  This leads into a lot of fun stuff, including a run in with some actors playing presidents and a pretty young actress looking like Cleopatra.  Eventually, Ham runs into - Lloyd Hamilton!  Yes, the character he’s portraying is not Lloyd Hamilton because this character runs into Lloyd Hamilton.  Wearing more normal street close.  The real Hamilton hurt his leg and can’t finish the film he’s working on as a result, but upon seeing his lookalike, decides he’s found his double.  Being the on screen husband to the pretty actress in the Egyptian garb convinces the character Ham to do the job.

The shy reactions Hamilton makes when he’s ordered on screen to make love to his on screen wife are fantastic.  Somewhat Oliver Hardy like in their humility, it’s what I mean by that “it” factor.  Hamilton was just a damn good comic actor and does a wonderful job displaying it here.  His actor on screen brother is played by Arthur Thalasso, so when he enters the scene, the big comic chase ensues - great gag with the Income Tax building - and Hamilton eventually takes a few steps back to his country home, the end. 

A really fine short.  I wanted to do MOVE ALONG, also on YouTube, but alas, I can’t seem to find a print with a music score.  Either way though, it’s brilliant.  I hope you guys enjoy THE MOVIES, we’re lucky to have it.  Also available on the about fifteen year old four DVD set THE FORGOTTEN FILMS OF ROSCOE “FATTY” ARBUCKLE.  If you can hunt down a copy for a good price, definitely buy it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Lloyd Hamilton…my familiarity with him basically extends to reading about him referred to in other works as well as one short that I saw many years ago. That short may have very well been THE MOVIES, as I remember it starting with Hamilton leaving his family home. I’m actually more familiar with his old partner, Bud Duncan, since he voiced Paddy O’Cinnamon on the radio classic, The Cinnamon Bear.

THE MOVIES is fascinating. I like the way it starts out with him literally leaving his home and just stepping a few feet away into the city, that feels very Keaton. I too see the Langdon connections with him being out of step, but he quickly loses that. Hitting the officer and pretending Arthur Thalasso did it definitely does not feel like Langdon. It’s done very well, and for that matter so are all other scenes with the cops like Hamilton constantly trying to stay in the officer’s sight. The stuff at the studio is good too. I really like the part with him meeting the actors playing Washington, Roosevelt and Lincoln and unintentionally offending them. The whole addition of him playing the real Hamilton’s stunt double is a good idea too, but I have a minor problem with how Thalasso is thrown into it; how did he not think that this guy was Hamilton earlier when he bumped into him? It’s literally the same actor; shouldn’t the guy have thought he was Hamilton from the beginning? I don’t know, it’s a minor thing that doesn’t really bog down my enjoyment of it too much. The chase is fun and the gag with the income tax building is great too. Overall, a fun short.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
This was a bizarre short that had funny moments for sure.  Something about Lloyd just doesn't do it in the same way Billy Bevan just doesn't elicit the laughs from me the way Buster, Harry, Charlie, Harold, and Charley do.

Now, the Lloyd Hamilton character certainly does show influence on and from those other characters.  In a few moments, he can be a total gentleman, change to a total bully, and then morph into an overgrown manchild.  Overall, my opinion and complaints about this short mirror Sam's.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I definitely see more from Hamilton than Billy Bevan, especially with the facial expressions - but to each their own.

As far as influence, Hamilton and Charley Chase influenced each other.  Chase in the fact he directed a couple of Hamilton’s earlier solo efforts and Hamilton in the fact Chase admired him so much as an actor he would think what Lloyd Hamilton would do in certain situations.  They were drinking buddies too from what I understand.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I definitely see more from Hamilton than Billy Bevan, especially with the facial expressions - but to each their own.

As far as influence, Hamilton and Charley Chase influenced each other.  Chase in the fact he directed a couple of Hamilton’s earlier solo efforts and Hamilton in the fact Chase admired him so much as an actor he would think what Lloyd Hamilton would do in certain situations.  They were drinking buddies too from what I understand.

I made an egregious typo in my comment.  I am going to fix it and mark the correction in red, and you will then comment on the newly corrected comment instead.  [pie]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline HomokHarcos

This was two first viewings for me: the first time I've ever seen a Lloyd Hamilton comedy, and also the first time I've ever seen an Educational silent. I know they were one of the dominant comedy short producers during the 1920s, also having Lupino Lane in their roster. Lloyd Hamilton does have a certain presence to him, this is my first time seeing him and I think I can already get a feel of what his character is about.

This comedy short feels fine as it is, keep in mind that the other major comedians were having features doing this time, so I appreciate that there was somebody like Lloyd Hamilton doing more gag-like films during this time. There are a few moments I like in this one: most notably the fight with Thalasso. The way he punches him in the stomach reminds me of what Moe would do to the other stooges. Good lowbrow type humor. The part with the presidents was also funny, and interesting to see that people make jokes about presidents back then even.

The part about Lloyd Hamilton being injured so he has to be replaced, sounds like a usual comedy set-up, but the difference here is that Lloyd Hamilton is playing himself and the character who's going to be replacing him in the movies. There's the intentional hammy performance play here, but the climax is fun when Lloyd Hamilton is running away and runs back to his mom.

Speaking of Arbuckle, I'm pretty sure the location at 4:18 was used in of his comedies with Keaton.