Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Plain Clothes (1925) - Harry Langdon

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016225/

PLAIN CLOTHES is a partially lost film.  As a result, the surviving parts of the negative are badly damaged.  This, however, was the first Langdon film I ever watched.

Harry is his typical self.  He's a coward, he's meek, and he's clueless.  Add in Vernon Dent as the bad guy, and it's typical Langdon-esque fun start to finish albeit choppy and difficult to see.

I can't really say much positive or negative because the film's in such poor condition, but it looks like it was probably one of Langdon's better shorts.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Based on what survives, the comedy flows pretty well, particularly when he goes to the other detective agency. I really like the part where he’s following the other detective and constantly trying to examine him, even going as far as using a tape measure. There’s also a fun part where Harry gets caught up in a raid and gets the driver to stop so he can inform his girlfriend. Vernon Dent as usual does an excellent job as the antagonist. I really like that slow, evil smile he does towards Harry when he realizes who he is, along with Harry’s awkward smile back to him. You can tell there is some footage missing early on, but once you get the idea that the necklace Dent has is the one Harry needs to get his reward, it all makes sense. It’s another fun short in the usual Langdon style; it’s just a shame that it doesn’t survive in great quality.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

PLAIN CLOTHES is the first short, based on screen credit and Sennett’s records, that Frank Capra worked on.  It’s possible he contributed to earlier efforts in some capacity, but this short is the first one we know for a fact Capra was on board.  If this is indeed Capra’s first, PLAIN CLOTHES is another in a line of already existing films of this style.  Funny, but nothing revolutionary.

That out of the way, missing footage and shape of the film stock aside, there are some funny moments here.  Langdon and his girl have some fun bits together.  I absolutely love it when she leads him step by step to sit down with her like he’s a trained animal.  Again, only Langdon would do that kind of thing.  The raid is the highlight of the short, speaking of what only Langdon would do.  The minute he is piled with all those detectives, the physical movements of how out of step Langdon is with everyone else is genius.  The way he is helplessly confused and running off to the side.  The way he puts down the rifle.  The way he stops the car so he can tell his girl he’s in the raid.  But it’s not only the raid where he’s out of step, it’s also the gun fight between Vernon and the detective.  The way he’s off to the side trying to do something but looking completely out of synch with the action.  He’s the proverbial third wheel, in the world, but not in synch with it at all.

I also really enjoy the gas scene.  A good excuse to bring forth a sleepy Langdon.  A sleepy Langdon is a good Langdon.  The way he wags his finger and talks to the criminals - I can picture Harry’s voice and delivery when scolding them.  This is due to watching his talkies and it makes it that much funnier to me.  A luxury the audiences of the twenties didn’t have.

So yeah, story wise a bit of a mess due to missing footage, but enough funny moments to be real entertaining.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

You have both Harry Langdon and Vernon Dent, so you can't go wrong here. My favorite part was seeing Harry Langdon with all the detectives who behave like they are being sent off to war, while poor Harry is completely out of his element. When the shootout with Vernon happens it was funny seeing Langdon act like a child, he's somebody that can make you believe he's actually like that. It's unfortunate the entire film doesn't survive, because this looks like a classic.