The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Boobs in the Wood (1925) - Harry Langdon

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015635/

Summary: 20 minutes of hilarity

BOOBS IN THE WOOD (not to be confused with the Andy Clyde Columbia short with a similar name) is a fantastic short, possibly the best one yet.  We have a fully developed plot, great gags, and a great cast all within the silent comedy short format we love so much.

Harry is great as the meek wannabe logger.  This short is just the quintessential Langdon short.  Just watch him in the tree-cutting scene or in the kitchen; his slow reactions tell half the story by themselves.  In a change from the norm, Harry actually shows some genuine bravery at the end.

Vernon Dent is always the perfect heavy to contrast with Harry.  He's just so menacing and spot on with his anger that you can feel it.  We're lucky that Vernon's talents were spent on such legendary figures as Langdon, Keaton, and The Three Stooges.

Take your time; savor this one.  This is a fine example of Harry Langdon at his best.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

BOOBS IN THE WOODS (not to be confused with the Andy Clyde Columbia short with the same name)

Also not to be confused with the Daffy Duck short of the same name

This is my favorite Langdon film that I’ve seen so far. Everything about this short works; it’s paced well, it’s creative, the supporting cast is good, everything ties together, and it’s really funny. Everything that explains what makes Langdon so unique can be found in this short.

First off is the idea of him being a lumberjack. This is a really creative idea for a comedy. Keaton, Lloyd and Chaplin didn’t attempt this, but Langdon did and really did all he could with. The twist with him chopping down a tree much smaller than everyone else is absolutely hilarious. And of course, Vernon Dent being the boss makes this even funnier. Another thing is just how dark it is. I love the overall dark tone every time someone gets beaten up here; again, this is something Harry can pull off really well. It’s ironic because you don’t see it; you just see the dirt coming up from offscreen, and that makes it even more hilarious because it’s so much more drawn out than it would be if they had actually shown it. What makes it even funnier is that they do it again when the chef beats up the guy in the kitchen for dropping the plate. All the comedians did dark humor to a certain extent, but Harry seemed to be more interested in it on a consistent basis.

After leaving his role as a lumberjack, Harry and his girlfriend go to work at a saloon, and in the process of working there, Harry inadvertently convinced everyone he is this really tough guy not to be messed with, when we all know, of course, it’s Harry. I’ve talked a lot about how I like COLD TURKEY, especially the maniac bits near the end, and I can see a bit of the genesis of that here: Harry just scares everyone through pure accident, making people think he’s choking the tough customer when in reality he’s trying to help him...or at the very least, not get killed by him. Vernon returns in the end and tied everything back together, giving Harry a chance to be brave and win the day. It’s all done in a way that feels very uniquely Harry, and it’s films like this that I feel makes Harry belong in “The Big Four”. This is essential viewing for any Harry Langdon fan, well worth your time.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

It’s BOOBS IN THE WOOD.  “Wood” being singular.  Where would you guys be without a nitpicky dork like me setting you straight?

Now that matter of world importance is now settled, BOOBS IN THE WOOD is indeed a classic Langdon film and possibly my favorite so far as well.  Langdon as “The Cryin’ Killer” is indeed hysterical but it would be all for nought if Langdon’s character wasn’t set up properly as this highly incompetent, weak and unusual man in the first reel.

First there’s the lumberjack stuff.  Yes, the idea of Langdon as a lumberjack in and of itself is hysterical.  The way he just stands there confused and moving away from danger about five seconds too late while trees are falling is great.  That tree just barely misses Langdon, both width wise and length wise - if it did hit him, it would have been the skinny part at the top.  Then when it comes time to chop his own tree, it’s the puniest baby tree in the forest.  Great camera work so we can see Harry doing the chopping yet the tree itself is out of camera range.  It surprises us when we finally do see the actual tree.

Harry gets beat up by Vernon off screen and then we get a great shot, set later, of Langdon bruised and battered, standing at this wonderful diagonal angle.  Well done as the act in and of itself of Langdon getting beat up isn’t the humor, it’s the confused aftermath.  Just watching him at that unusual angle and gazing at him is the best Langdon humor in my eyes.

The creme de la creme for me is Langdon interacting with his girl.  He has no clue how to act with a girl showing affection towards him.  She’s trying to kiss him and he does these cautious back steps away from her like only Langdon can.  Then, after a long delay, he inches closer and when she tries to meet him halfway, he backs up again.  Love making for Harry is like a game of chicken.  At one point when she gets close, he even raises his ax to her!  Save the lady murdering for the features, Harry.  Eventually, after this fascinating cat and mouse game, there is a kiss and Langdon has this doped up reaction like only Langdon can.  Actually, this whole scene is Langdon like, I truly can’t picture any other comedian pulling this off.

So now that the character of Langdon is established, we get all the great stuff in the bar with Harry the waiter and bus boy turning into Harry the enforcer and killer - all by accident.  The kerosene in the soup, the lucky mule kick the nemesis doesn’t see because of the bucket over his head - it all establishes Harry as a tough guy in the eyes of the townspeople.  Fantastic touch at the end of Harry meeting Vernon and this time, overcoming the nemesis he previously had trouble with.

A classic short, mandatory Langdon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
It’s BOOBS IN THE WOOD.  “Wood” being singular.  Where would you guys be without a nitpicky dork like me setting you straight?

Boobs.  Wood.  Is it warm in here?  [pie]

I love these old shorts with titles that use words whose meanings have altered over the years.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Boobs.  Wood.  Is it warm in here?  [pie]

I love these old shorts with titles that use words whose meanings have altered over the years.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Sam, you bring up the dark humor - that will certainly come to a head as we progress.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

The forest setting is brilliant, and it's one of those settings where I could just look at the background and enjoy it. This has my favorite parts of the film, such as when Harry is sliding down like a circus ride and the impressive camera work near the end of this section when he is running away. Vernon Dent is a great adversary for Harry Langdon. He works well as his best friend in a Laurel and Hardy way, or is his enemy like a cartoon nemesis. The part where Harry is a waiter brings up a funny bit where his coworker is afraid of getting killed by one of their customers.

Offline metaldams

If you guys like forest setting stuff and haven’t already seen it, I would check out THE SAWMILL from Larry Semon with Oliver Hardy.
- Doug Sarnecky