Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Number, Please? (1920) - Harold Lloyd

Offline metaldams

NUMBER, PLEASE? is one of my favorite Harold Lloyd shorts and has been for a long time.  One of the things I usually like to bring up with Harold is his ability to milk a gag for all it’s worth and this short is a prime example that always enters my mind.  One of the reasons is because it was one of the first I saw, so it made an early impression and I watched it a ton.  This film was initially available on a DVD as an extra called THE COOK AND OTHER TREASURES.  When Keaton and Arbuckle’s THE COOK was found, a DVD release was made to celebrate.  So yeah, I watched this one over and over again and was blown away at how the simple idea of Lloyd making a phone call and trying to get rid of a wallet could be these drawn out and extended sequences with all of these amazing variations.  They just don’t make them like this anymore.

When I say they don’t make them like this anymore, the cell phone has made twenty thousand old movie plots obsolete and this is one of them.  Mildred has two suitors and only two tickets for the balloon ride.  The suitor who can ask her mother first gets the extra ticket and a flight with Mildred.  These days, both guys would take out their cell phones, send a text and see which one the mother responds to first.  Much more practical but it leaves little room for comedy.  Here, Harold has to rush to a public telephone.  The variations of trouble Harold has finding a booth, with the operators, getting in and out of different booths, etc. is a joy to watch.  I can list variations, but why bother, see for yourselves.  The basic concept is all that is done is incredible and extremely creative.

Even more creative and one of my all time favorite Harold scenes is when he’s trying to get rid of that purse.  A thief steals a purse and plants it on Harold (which unbeknownst to Harold, is Mildred’s) and Harold spends a good portion of the film getting rid of it to avoid suspicion as cops and detectives are following him.  The variations again they come up with are like a symphony of comic ideas.  Again, you can see for yourself what is done, but I’ll just throw in the fact that Harold throwing the purse on the roof and it sliding down on top of his hat is permanently etched into my brain.  The circumstance where and how Harold does get rid of the purse is really ironic and creative, but I won’t give a spoiler alert.  See for yourself.  I’ll just say one more thing - another great bit with Sunshine Sammy Morrison.

So yeah, those two brilliant sequences take up a bulk of this short.  I’ll also throw in Mildred’s introduction is fantastic.  She had a unique niche in Lloyd leading ladies as being overly excitable and childish in a comic way.  She’s really underrated.  Also dig the dog on the merry go round gag.  A real classic, hope you guys enjoy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Allen Champion

Harold Lloyd may be the funniest silent clown, but I just don't find him likable.   I can't get over his cruelty to the dog.    :(
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline metaldams

The dog, in this case, was just a prop to get Mildred. Taking care of it wins brownie points. The whole tying the dog to the merry go round bit I interpret more as absent mindedness versus malice - there’s no way Harold wants the dog to take that ride.  More so to do with the fact having the dog take that spin is an annoyance to Mildred, who he is trying to impress.  The fact the dog adjusts and jumps on the platform safely makes it funny and easier to digest for me.

But yeah, Harold has a one track mind and will do anything to get Mildred here.  Being funny above likable for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I'm going to go on a different track and say that the entire track from start to finish was brilliant.  Each section-- the dog, the phone, and the purse-- gets milked to perfection.  My problem is that the phone booth sequence just isn't funny.  Everyone is too damn unlikable and malicious for this sequence to get anything from me.  Once the purse sequence begins, we take off again with bizarre twist ending.

The only likable person in this short is Roy.  Harold's a selfish jerk.  Mildred's a petulant snotty spoiled brat.  And ol' Roy's just trying to keep Mildred happy.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Good for the most part. Indeed, this film shows how Harold can really milk gags for all they’re worth. The phone booth stuff is great. It shows Harold against the cruel world that just won’t let him get to make the call he needs to: other people taking the booths, booths only being open when he’s not available, not being able to get access to a phone book. And yet, it’s not all just about bad luck. The “out of order” sign is clever and I really enjoyed how the one guy just pushes Harold into the phone booth, inadvertently letting him win the fight with the other guy. Similarly, the scenes with Harold trying to get rid of the purse are hilarious too. Everyone just works against him in ironically trying to help him; a kid gives it back to him, his attempt to get someone else to rob him is foiled by a police officer, and a very loyal dog is dedicated to giving it to him. Once again, it’s milked for all its worth and, yes, Sunshine Sammy does indeed do a great job again. They really knew how to use Sunshine Sammy in these Lloyd comedies.

Those moments are the highlight of the short, although I also really like the opening with Harold collecting everyone’s hat (and the one guy’s toupee). The bits with him chasing Mildred’s dog are fine, although the mirror part goes on way too long and it’s not as memorable as what immediately follows it. But, again, those gags with the phone and purse work really well and make the short an overall enjoyable experience.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

I watched this short in awe at the theme park setting, I'm impressed by seeing rollercoasters in this time. In a way, it reminds me of the feature Speedy with the excellent Coney Island setting. There's even a much more family friendly mirror scene. I liked seeing the beach, too.

I think this is my favorite Harold Lloyd short, it's very entertaining throughout. The beginning is mostly about setting up the romantic rivalry, and as mentioned, the location shooting. The phone booth scene is quite funny, but admittedly being vocal based would work better in sound. I'm assuming that he's calling people that are speaking a language he can't understand, but it's not made entirely clear. My favorite part is when the purse is missing. It's funny seeing Harold throw the puss to get rid of the evidence only for kids playing baseball to hit it back. The scene with Ernie Morrison might be favorite ever use of the two people pretending to be one gag. It's looks very funny seeing a man that tall with a very small head, but oops the cover is blown and he's on the run from the cops again. Fantastic.