Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Wizard of Oz (1925) - Larry Semon with Oliver Hardy

Offline metaldams

Walter Kerr has a book on silent comedy called THE SILENT CLOWNS which I highly recommend.  It was written in the 1970’s before people had easy access to silent comedy through YouTube and physical media outside of film projectors like they do today.  While Kerr waxes poetically about Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd and Langdon in a way I and others can only dream of accomplishing, he also dismantles some comedians and even studios (Sennett) who he doesn’t appreciate as much.  Larry Semon is one such comedian he dismantles and this dismantling is also the first time I ever heard of Larry Semon.  The criticism is that Semon lacks character, didn’t do his own major stunts like Keaton and the gags were all scattershot and failed to tell a story.  Mostly true, but the gags themselves were quite over the top and some of us, including yours truly, find that funny.  The thing is that the type of gags Semon did are hard to wax poetic about.  It may be “politically incorrect” to say, but on film, watching a fat guy fall into a tub of goo can be funny.  Sure, some of us who have this slapstick gene enjoy that stuff such as myself, I’m not going to deny it.  In Larry Semon films, you can almost guarantee a fat guy, usually Frank Alexander, will fall into a tub of goo for no particular rhyme or reason and it even happens in THE WIZARD OF OZ.  No folks, we’re not in Kansas anymore.

So one thing Semon has against his reputation are the critics.  Another is that his most famous film is THE WIZARD OF OZ.  How can it not be?  The 1939 version is a film known by people who don’t even watch old films.  It is more famous than any film I will ever review on this site.  So it is Semon’s most famous film by default.  The curious watch it simply because it is titled THE WIZARD OF OZ.  A lot these people otherwise  would never watch a silent comedy, never mind a Larry Semon film, so of course they come away disappointed that the film is nothing like the 1939 version.  What’s also tragic is that the simple pleasure of Semon’s art - high spectacle sight gags and not much else, translates much better to short films than features, so it’s a shame people come to THE WIZARD OF OZ when seeing Larry Semon.  It’s that title, you will never see another Semon film get a beautiful tinted print like the one featured above or a stunning Robert Israel orchestral score.  To add insult to injury for Semon, a lot of times this film is advertised as the film where Oliver Hardy plays The Tin Man, not a Semon film.

THE WIZARD OF OZ is not really a good film.  It has its moments and is an interesting movie, but not a very good one.  I am not even going to bother with the story, which by the end turns into a jumbled mess.  Comparisons to 1939 - let’s just say the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion never appear on the screen at the same time.  The scarecrow, played by Semon, simply dresses up as a scarecrow so he can make it appear the fraudulent Wizard, played by Sennett stalwart Charles Murray, legitimately does have magic powers to transform people.  Oliver Hardy plays the Tin Man for all of one minute.  He simply falls into a pile of tin and turns up looking like The Tin Man.  He then wears aristocratic clothing the rest of the film playing an unsympathetic character - not one of Ollie’s better roles.  The cowardly lion is simply G. Howe Black (billed name) in a lion outfit.  Yes, you read the name right.  The character is introduced eating in a watermelon patch and plays the typical scared black actor.  I do like the tumbles he takes down the hill towards the end, but that said, this is obviously VERY stereotypical stuff.  There’s no wicked witch, no flying monkeys, no little people, no quest for anything, just a very different film overall.

THE WIZARD OF OZ works best when they are on the Kansas farm and it is nothing but sight gags.  The absolute best bit is Hardy swinging Dorothy (played by Semon’s wife, Dorothy Dwan), really high in the air on a swing set to the point she’s so high she falls off over a fence, lands on a catapult that launches barrels filled with liquid back over the fence and onto people.  That is a typical Larry Semon film gag and the kind of thing I wish there was more of in this film.  We do get some cartoon flies, gags with eggs landing on Semon’s face, a duck squirting Semon in the face with God knows what...pleasant stuff for comedy fans, but you’d think a feature with this budget would have more of the big sight gag.  Yes, there is the obligatory tower gag towards the end, a staple of Semon films, but it’s too little, too late.  Semon two reelers like THE SAWMILL have more big gags than an expensive feature like this one and with Larry Semon, that’s disappointing.

I have seen one other Semon feature, THE PERFECT CLOWN.  It’s better than this, but still not the quality of the two reelers of the early twenties.  A shame those two reelers don’t have the notoriety of THE WIZARD OF OZ, as I feel they serve Semon much better.  Again, an interesting film that looks good, but really better served as a curio more so than a good representative of silent comedy and Larry Semon.  One of these days I will review some of those two reelers.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

OK, before I begin, I just wanted to say some trivia. A few months ago, I read a book called THE ROAD TO OZ-not the actually entry in the Oz series, but rather a history of the making of the famous 1939 version by MGM as well as a little bit on the pre-1939 versions. I felt a couples things seemed relevant here. First, apparently the Larry Semon version was received terribly by Oz fans even back then, with some fans writing in letters to newspapers about how terribly it had been handled. Second, the book quotes a newspaper article from the early 1930s which stated that MGM was considering buying the rights to the WIZARD OF OZ...to be made as a Laurel and Hardy vehicle! If that article is to be believed, Hardy almost got another chance at making a true WIZARD OF OZ adaptation.

Ok, so I have seen a few Larry Semon shorts and the main thing that has stood out about them is their scale. Semon went all out with the physical humor and chases in his films...and they are quite impressive even to this day. Truth be told, when I first heard about this, I didn’t think that it was that bad of an idea. The Scarecrow has always been identified as somewhat of a goofball character, so Semon seemed like a good choice for the role, and his dedication to large-scaled chases and stunts could have provided a nice edge to the original story....if he had followed the original story.

Yes, this film has pretty much nothing to do with the original book. To be fair, the 1939 version wasn’t exactly the most faithful adaptation either. It did make some substantial changes, such as the elimination of the second good witch, which is why the first good witch didn’t tell Dorothy from the start that the slippers could get her home (in the movie, it seems odd that the good witch doesn’t give her this information from the start). However, the 1939 version also made some changes that were better fitted for its long-term appeal. For example, the elimination of the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion’s murder sprees felt justified. Plus, the 1939 version also does retain an important, yet also minor character: the Wizard himself. Yeah, remember that the title is WIZARD OF OZ? Even if he’s not in much of the 1939 version, he’s still important to the story in that the quest specifically relates to him. In Larry Semon’s version, the Wizard’s just another pawn in some dumb political scam.

OK, so let’s temporarily forget that this movie has any relation to a literary classic. Looking at it as its own original story, how does the story hold up. Even without the Oz connections, the story is horrible. A lot of stuff doesn’t make sense about this movie. For example, when the tornado comes and everyone runs into a shed, there’s a pretty noticeable person missing. What happened to Aunt Em?! Did she hide in the house? Did she die? Did she run away and end up in the real Oz? Where did she go?! The character just disappears and I guess we’re supposed to treat it as though she never existed. They make it seem as though Uncle Henry kind of filled her role from that point on.

Speaking of Uncle Henry, that’s another issue in this. Lots of these characters have personalities that are never truly defined and shift throughout. For example, Uncle Henry is portrayed as being abusive to Dorothy at the beginning of the film, but then he suddenly becomes really protective of her on her birthday. Hardy, meanwhile, is introduced as protecting Dorothy from Uncle Henry’s abuse, but then later teams up with one of the villains to steal the letter about Dorothy’s heritage. Then, he suddenly teams up with Semon when the Wizard needs their help, only to betray Semon again right afterwards (incidentally, seeing that scene, it was clear that Hardy’s character should have been the cowardly lion, not the tin man). Heck, even the Prince, who’s supposed to be the hero of this thing, is not really a good person. When the Prime Minister tells him that the farmhands tried to kidnap Dorothy, the Prince believes him and sends Semon and Spencer Bell’s characters to the dungeon...even though Dorothy clearly tries to tell him that this wasn’t the case. Why are we supposed to root for this guy again?

So, yeah, this is a very poorly conceived story, but what about the comedy? Well...that’s not really all that good either. There are a lot of scenes that either are just really strange, such as Semon struggling with the fly, or suffer from the obvious racial stereotypes that are done with Spencer Bell’s character. The few moments where the comedy does genuinely work are the moments where Semon actually does do some large-scale chases and stunts. The scene with the swing that metaldams mentions is great. I also really like the chases when Semon steals the letter from Hardy and when Semon is hiding under the boxes. The box chase would probably be my pick for the highlight of the whole movie. The plane thing at the end is also fun, but it’s so short and inconclusive that it doesn’t feel justified having to sit through the rest of the garbage that preceded it.

THE WIZARD OF OZ is an outdated and unfocused mess of a film that, along with 2010’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND, should be used as an example of what not to do in a feature film adaptation. Again, it does have a few fun moments that keep me from rating it as low as a 1 or even a 2, but this is a film that would certainly not please WIZARD OF OZ fans, and I highly doubt it would please Larry Semon fans either.

3 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Great reviews both. U. Sam's in particular covered a lot of my problems with the film. The jumbled "story," the lack of focus on Dorothy (well, I suppose Semon, not her, is the star...), Aunt Em's sudden disappearance (a real waste of Mary Carr), the racial humor (more on that below), character consistency problems, the uncomfortably abrupt ending. It almost makes you wonder why Semon and his cohorts just didn't come up with their own magical kingdom of sorts, other than having the ultimately hollow prestige of the "Oz" name.

The ending in particular is shit. It almost seemed like Semon was shooting for Chaplin-like pathos by having Dorothy choose the Prince over him. However, even then it's immediately undermined, as it's basically to shoo off Dorothy and the Prince so we can get another wacky, and in this case rather pointless chase sequence, to again remind us who the REAL star of the picture is. Then an airplane appears (kudos to "Snowball" -- *shudder* -- for saving the day I guess), Larry's rope snaps, it cuts back to the toyshop (a pointless framing sequence, from what I remember) and a page in the book shows that Dorothy and the Prince live happily ever after... without tying up the other characters' loose ends. A fine microcosm for what a jumbled mess the film is. Semon's prior feature attempt, THE GIRL IN THE LIMOUSINE, is unfortunately lost, so we can't really compare Semon's storytelling skills between the two. I haven't yet seen THE PERFECT CLOWN, but I trust metaldams' mention that it's better than this. Unfortunately, Larry wouldn't get too many more opportunities at bat...

Also, I should point out that, while he has been identified as such over many years, "G. Howe Black" (yeesh) is, in fact, not Spencer Bell, nor is it Bell who appears in the other Semon shorts. A few years back, after a debate over his identity was raised on the SLAPSTICK NATION! Facebook group, comedy film historian Steve Rydzewski positively identified him as another black comedian of the time, Curtis McHenry. He has great physical talent, but the humor here... well, it isn't like our Dudley, where it's often "innocent" enough that it's easy to look past the undertones (that lightning in the head gag *groan*).

I look forward to when we eventually look at Semon's shorts, as there wasn't as much of a pressing need for story and character development, and Larry could run rampant with his eye-catching comic spectacles.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

OK, before I begin, I just wanted to say some trivia. A few months ago, I read a book called THE ROAD TO OZ-not the actually entry in the Oz series, but rather a history of the making of the famous 1939 version by MGM as well as a little bit on the pre-1939 versions. I felt a couples things seemed relevant here. First, apparently the Larry Semon version was received terribly by Oz fans even back then, with some fans writing in letters to newspapers about how terribly it had been handled. Second, the book quotes a newspaper article from the early 1930s which stated that MGM was considering buying the rights to the WIZARD OF OZ...to be made as a Laurel and Hardy vehicle! If that article is to be believed, Hardy almost got another chance at making a true WIZARD OF OZ adaptation.

Ok, so I have seen a few Larry Semon shorts and the main thing that has stood out about them is their scale. Semon went all out with the physical humor and chases in his films...and they are quite impressive even to this day. Truth be told, when I first heard about this, I didn’t think that it was that bad of an idea. The Scarecrow has always been identified as somewhat of a goofball character, so Semon seemed like a good choice for the role, and his dedication to large-scaled chases and stunts could have provided a nice edge to the original story....if he had followed the original story.

Yes, this film has pretty much nothing to do with the original book. To be fair, the 1939 version wasn’t exactly the most faithful adaptation either. It did make some substantial changes, such as the elimination of the second good witch, which is why the first good witch didn’t tell Dorothy from the start that the slippers could get her home (in the movie, it seems odd that the good witch doesn’t give her this information from the start). However, the 1939 version also made some changes that were better fitted for its long-term appeal. For example, the elimination of the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion’s murder sprees felt justified. Plus, the 1939 version also does retain an important, yet also minor character: the Wizard himself. Yeah, remember that the title is WIZARD OF OZ? Even if he’s not in much of the 1939 version, he’s still important to the story in that the quest specifically relates to him. In Larry Semon’s version, the Wizard’s just another pawn in some dumb political scam.

OK, so let’s temporarily forget that this movie has any relation to a literary classic. Looking at it as its own original story, how does the story hold up. Even without the Oz connections, the story is horrible. A lot of stuff doesn’t make sense about this movie. For example, when the tornado comes and everyone runs into a shed, there’s a pretty noticeable person missing. What happened to Aunt Em?! Did she hide in the house? Did she die? Did she run away and end up in the real Oz? Where did she go?! The character just disappears and I guess we’re supposed to treat it as though she never existed. They make it seem as though Uncle Henry kind of filled her role from that point on.

Speaking of Uncle Henry, that’s another issue in this. Lots of these characters have personalities that are never truly defined and shift throughout. For example, Uncle Henry is portrayed as being abusive to Dorothy at the beginning of the film, but then he suddenly becomes really protective of her on her birthday. Hardy, meanwhile, is introduced as protecting Dorothy from Uncle Henry’s abuse, but then later teams up with one of the villains to steal the letter about Dorothy’s heritage. Then, he suddenly teams up with Semon when the Wizard needs their help, only to betray Semon again right afterwards (incidentally, seeing that scene, it was clear that Hardy’s character should have been the cowardly lion, not the tin man). Heck, even the Prince, who’s supposed to be the hero of this thing, is not really a good person. When the Prime Minister tells him that the farmhands tried to kidnap Dorothy, the Prince believes him and sends Semon and Spencer Bell’s characters to the dungeon...even though Dorothy clearly tries to tell him that this wasn’t the case. Why are we supposed to root for this guy again?

So, yeah, this is a very poorly conceived story, but what about the comedy? Well...that’s not really all that good either. There are a lot of scenes that either are just really strange, such as Semon struggling with the fly, or suffer from the obvious racial stereotypes that are done with Spencer Bell’s character. The few moments where the comedy does genuinely work are the moments where Semon actually does do some large-scale chases and stunts. The scene with the swing that metaldams mentions is great. I also really like the chases when Semon steals the letter from Hardy and when Semon is hiding under the boxes. The box chase would probably be my pick for the highlight of the whole movie. The plane thing at the end is also fun, but it’s so short and inconclusive that it doesn’t feel justified having to sit through the rest of the garbage that preceded it.

THE WIZARD OF OZ is an outdated and unfocused mess of a film that, along with 2010’s ALICE IN WONDERLAND, should be used as an example of what not to do in a feature film adaptation. Again, it does have a few fun moments that keep me from rating it as low as a 1 or even a 2, but this is a film that would certainly not please WIZARD OF OZ fans, and I highly doubt it would please Larry Semon fans either.

3 out of 10

Thanks for comparing to the original Frank Baum books, a much needed perspective I’m not able to offer.  As far as the character personalities changing indiscriminately, you hit the nail on the head, especially with Frank Alexander and Ollie’s characters.  Whenever a film plot gets that confusing, I usually tune out and look for the superficial things.

You’re correct this movie was a bomb.  Larry Semon passed away three years later at age 39 - Mercy! - due to a nervous breakdown over financial concerns - he filed for bankruptcy.  THE WIZARD OF OZ played a big part of this, but not the only part.  He was a high spender and always a producer’s nightmare from what I read.  According to Wikipedia, a two reelers of his cost as much as an average feature and Vitagraph made him become his own producer because he was so expensive.  An interesting man, for sure.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Also, I should point out that, while he has been identified as such over many years, "G. Howe Black" (yeesh) is, in fact, not Spencer Bell, nor is it Bell who appears in the other Semon shorts. A few years back, after a debate over his identity was raised on the SLAPSTICK NATION! Facebook group, comedy film historian Steve Rydzewski positively identified him as another black comedian of the time, Curtis McHenry. He has great physical talent, but the humor here... well, it isn't like our Dudley, where it's often "innocent" enough that it's easy to look past the undertones (that lightning in the head gag *groan*).

You’re correct.  For years, people thought G. Howe Black was Spencer Bell but it did turn out to be Curtis McHenry.

The thing is, everybody got stereotyped back then.  The Irish were alcoholic cops, the Chinese all owned laundromats with opium dens in the basement, Jews were all junk dealers and pawn shop owners (see Vernon Dent in FIDDLESTICKS), Italians were all landscapers, The Scottish all wore kilts and loved to fight, Vaudeville had dialect comedians for every ethnicity imaginable - it was a country who just immigrated together and had yet to assimilate.  I saw footage of my grandmother in her twenties taken in the late 40’s, it looked like she was hanging with the cast of The Sopranos - Italian, obviously.

To me, the tragedy isn’t so much that G. Howe Black existed.  The tragedy for me is if you were a black actor, you couldn’t play anything else until the mid 60’s.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Larry Semon's disastrous "Wizard of Oz" adaptation has little to do with L. Frank Baum and everything to do with slapstick humor. Imagine a Semon two-reeler expanded to feature length and you get the idea. Sadly, the commercial failure of this 1925 ego trip destroyed the silent comedian's career. Oliver Hardy fans might want to take a look, but it's a terrible film.

2/10

Offline Umbrella Sam

I look forward to when we eventually look at Semon's shorts, as there wasn't as much of a pressing need for story and character development, and Larry could run rampant with his eye-catching comic spectacles.

Thanks for the clarification on McHenry. I honestly felt uncomfortable referring to him by his billed name or the character’s name, so I kind of just picked the first name I saw without really looking into it more. My error.

He really does have a lot of physical talent, which was needed if you were in a Semon film. It’s a shame he wasn’t acting at a point where those talents could be properly showcased without the ridiculous stereotypes.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com