Svengarlic · 142 · 36459

Offline metaldams

Scariest movie of all time?

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

In a very different way, that was a scary movie, Metaldams.    Thank you for a thought-provoking answer. 

Offline Svengarlic

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
I know a bit about the movie, but haven't seen it. I don't care for war movies as a rule. The last one I saw Platoon. After all the hoopla I was disappointed. My list of faves is a short one.

Sgt. York
The Tony Curtis one where he played the flag raising Pima Indian, Ira Hayes
The Audie Murphy one (Back From Somewhere?)
Full Metal Jacket: Just the first half. After "Me love you long time" it sunk fast.

I've been conflicted on The Deer Hunter and Apocalypse Now for years. Hmmm...I'm hijacking the thread. Maybe there's some interest here on war flicks.

Continued in a new thread.  ;)

Offline Svengarlic

Of possible interest, from buzzfeed:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/staceygrant91/13-must-watch-horror-films-from-the-late-1930s-xpfm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/staceygrant91/10-pre-code-horror-movies-you-need-to-watch-xpfm

Though I'm hard pressed to agree with some of the choices in the 1st link, particularly with #11, the Bogart dog, it's a very cool article.  ;)

The 2nd, pre-code list was damn near perfect in my book. EXEPT for #10, Murders at the Zoo. I saw it for the first time just last year. When the man turned around to reveal the stitched up mouth I was truly shocked. Gad, it was grizzly!

I don't know the back story, but I'm guessing that the film makers decided it was too much, because after that scene the film played like a comedy, with funny man Charlie Ruggles getting top billing over the future Dr. Bomar, Lionel Atwill!

In spite of the fact that I know all about Merian C. Cooper/Ernest B. Schoedsack's The Most Dangerous Game, due to it's connection with King Kong, I've yet to see it. It's on my bucket list.

Offline metaldams

Though I'm hard pressed to agree with some of the choices in the 1st link, particularly with #11, the Bogart dog, it's a very cool article.  ;)

The 2nd, pre-code list was damn near perfect in my book. EXEPT for #10, Murders at the Zoo. I saw it for the first time just last year. When the man turned around to reveal the stitched up mouth I was truly shocked. Gad, it was grizzly!

I don't know the back story, but I'm guessing that the film makers decided it was too much, because after that scene the film played like a comedy, with funny man Charlie Ruggles getting top billing over the future Dr. Bomar, Lionel Atwill!

In spite of the fact that I know all about Merian C. Cooper/Ernest B. Schoedsack's The Most Dangerous Game, due to it's connection with King Kong, I've yet to see it. It's on my bucket list.

DEFINITELY see THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

As far as MURDERS IN THE ZOO, I agree a disappointment after a promising beginning.  There are still some great Lionel Atwill scenes spread throughout, but yeah, the comedy is a bit much.  I was not bothered by similar comedy in MAD LOVE and DOCTOR X, I thought the balance was better in those films.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline PresidentWardRobey

Just an FYI for you horror movie guys.  My local Sunday paper does mini reviews of recently released DVDs and they had mentioned this one:
Universal Classic Monsters: The Complete 30 Film Collection 1931-56.  It comes with a bunch of extra stuff like behind the scenes, commentaries, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Classic-Monsters-Collection-Frankenstein/dp/B00L8QP082/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1413731999&sr=1-5&keywords=universal+horror+classics

Offline Svengarlic

Thanks Pres. I'd love to own it, but 88 bucks! WOW  :(

Offline Signor Spumoni

This is not a classic '30s-'40s Universal horror movie, but I wondered if there are any opinions on "Let's Scare Jessica To Death."  I saw most of it on television recently, prompted partly by a review I saw somewhere or other. 

Offline Svengarlic

This is not a classic '30s-'40s Universal horror movie, but I wondered if there are any opinions on "Let's Scare Jessica To Death."  I saw most of it on television recently, prompted partly by a review I saw somewhere or other.
I remember the title, but I never saw it. 

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Maybe this should go in the Abbott and Costello thread--but I thought it was interesting that while watching Buck Privates Come Home, Jack Pierce was credited as makeup artist. For those who don't know the backstory, I believe BPCH was Bud & Lou's first film for Universal made after the studio became "Universal-International" and I had always assumed that Pierce got booted out after the change--at least that's what the stories always lead me to believe.

But apparently, it wasn't too long after BPCH that Pierce got fired, because Bud Westmore got the credit on A & C's next feature....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Svengarlic

Ironic that you brought this up as A&C meets Frank is on ME TV tonite in my area. I have a little back story on the 1st time I saw it. It was a Friday night, my 11th birthday. We had moved to the other side of town so I had lost track of my best friend. Back then we had no phone. My brother and I were pretty pumped up all week waiting to see it.

My thoughtful old Lady went to the old neighborhood and tracked down Wilbur (she didn't know his last name or where he lived) and surprised us. Instead of the usual dinner my Pop made pancakes for dinner and set up the card table in the front room so we could watch the show. Best BD I can remember. Oh, and it was cool that Lou's name was also Wilbur.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I just watched The Raven again and I'm still puzzled as to how Lugosi didn't get top billing over Karloff for this particular film, considering how Bela dominates the whole movie. But maybe in the wake of the 2 Frankenstein films, some higher up at Universal thought Karloff's name had a little more cache at the box office... 

:-\
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

In my last post on this thread, I mentioned The Raven and I just finished watching the 1934 version of The Black Cat. I imagine that there has been a debate raging for years as to which is the superior movie, so I ask for thoughts from people here at this forum--which movie do you think is better...

Myself, I've always considered myself more a fan of Bela than Boris, so naturally I lean more towards the Lugosi-centric "Raven" (I tear torture out of me by torturing you)....

Offline metaldams

In my last post on this thread, I mentioned The Raven and I just finished watching the 1934 version of The Black Cat. I imagine that there has been a debate raging for years as to which is the superior movie, so I ask for thoughts from people here at this forum--which movie do you think is better...

Myself, I've always considered myself more a fan of Bela than Boris, so naturally I lean more towards the Lugosi-centric "Raven" (I tear torture out of me by torturing you)....

Look, I love both movies to death, and I too am more Lugosi centric, but that said, THE BLACK CAT is not only my favorite of the two, it's my favorite Universal Horror movie, period.  It's the only movie Lugosi and Karloff are in where both have roles as true equals, and they are both in their prime here.  This never happened again, every other film has one dominating the other, THE RAVEN being a Lugosi ham fest I can watch all day....but Boris has a bad make up job and it's not one of his better roles.  THE BLACK CAT also finds the very thin line where you can have hints of incest, Satanism, war, necrophilia, and mutilation and still be classy (To Universal Studios, if you want to use this quote on the back of your next release of THE BLACK CAT, it'll cost $2,000 in gold coins).Besides, where else will you see Symona Boniface make a cameo in a Satanic ritual?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes, I was watching intently the scene from The Black Cat where they have the satanic ritual and did spot Symona. A far cry from getting pies splattered in her face by the stooges, I would say.   :)

The one thing I would say about The Black Cat, is that it's definitely the more methodical of the 2 films. Maybe "Cat" works on a more cerebral or artistic level--I'm not sure how exactly to word it. I think the thing that works more for me in The Raven is the "fun" factor--something I point to when I explain my love for the 1940s Mummy films.

And there's nothing more fun than watching Lugosi admirably chew up the scenery as he does in The Raven or as he did with his 2 turns as Ygor.

Having said all that, I can see your points Metal, about why "Cat" is the superior of the 2 films....

Offline Seamus

Look, I love both movies to death, and I too am more Lugosi centric, but that said, THE BLACK CAT is not only my favorite of the two, it's my favorite Universal Horror movie, period.  It's the only movie Lugosi and Karloff are in where both have roles as true equals, and they are both in their prime here.  This never happened again, every other film has one dominating the other, THE RAVEN being a Lugosi ham fest I can watch all day....but Boris has a bad make up job and it's not one of his better roles.  THE BLACK CAT also finds the very thin line where you can have hints of incest, Satanism, war, necrophilia, and mutilation and still be classy (To Universal Studios, if you want to use this quote on the back of your next release of THE BLACK CAT, it'll cost $2,000 in gold coins).Besides, where else will you see Symona Boniface make a cameo in a Satanic ritual?

Yeah, it's BLACK CAT by a long stretch.  I love watching Karloff lumber around in bad make-up throttling people while Bela eggs him on like a demented ham as much as anybody (OK, as much as anybody participating in this thread anyway), but BLACK CAT is on another level altogether.  Karloff and Lugosi are given more complex characterizations to work with, so you get better performances out of both.  I enjoy seeing a more restrained Bela playing the (more or less) good guy facing off against Karloff, who's deliciously and quietly sinister.  And the story elements that Metal mentioned make for a more engaging movie.

RAVEN is still a fun movie thought.  Sometimes you just wanna sit back with a beer and watch Bela Lugosi as nature intended him - deranged and playing it to the back row.

Offline metaldams

RAVEN is still a fun movie thought.  Sometimes you just wanna sit back with a beer and watch Bela Lugosi as nature intended him - deranged and playing it to the back row.

Truer words were never spoken.  I think I may watch these two films this weekend, along with THE INVISIBLE RAY, the one where Lugosi is Karloff's sidekick....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsKR2xg6HE

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

Metal, what do you think of Lugosi's "White Zombie?"  I know it's not a Universal film, but this seemed a likely place to put this question.  I am reading The Count and just finished the part about WZ.  I'd like your opinion of the movie.

Offline metaldams

Metal, what do you think of Lugosi's "White Zombie?"  I know it's not a Universal film, but this seemed a likely place to put this question.  I am reading The Count and just finished the part about WZ.  I'd like your opinion of the movie.

One of the most atmospheric black and white horror movies you will ever see in your life.  The scenes with the zombies working the mill are eerie, as is the graveyard stuff.  Top notch Lugosi performance, one of his all-time best.  The romantic couple can be corny, but they work better if you view them as innocents in a fairy tale as opposed to realism.  Definitely check WHITE ZOMBIE out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

One of the most atmospheric black and white horror movies you will ever see in your life.  The scenes with the zombies working the mill are eerie, as is the graveyard stuff.  Top notch Lugosi performance, one of his all-time best.  The romantic couple can be corny, but they work better if you view them as innocents in a fairy tale as opposed to realism.  Definitely check WHITE ZOMBIE out.

Thank you, Metal.  Relying on my memory of "Dracula," I say that "White Zombie" is the better film.  It was shocking when the zombie fell into the mill and the other zombies just kept turning the wheel.  The zombie servants are horrifying as is Lugosi's admission when asked what would happen if they regained their souls.  There are lots of good moments and scenes and effects.  This movie lives up to the description of horror movie.

Offline Signor Spumoni

Any reviews from anyone on "The Old Dark House," Universal picture 1932?  I just watched it, having found my way from "The Cat and The Canary," 1927.  I never heard of TODH even though it's a '30s Universal horror picture.  It was, to say the least if not less, interesting.

Offline metaldams

Any reviews from anyone on "The Old Dark House," Universal picture 1932?  I just watched it, having found my way from "The Cat and The Canary," 1927.  I never heard of TODH even though it's a '30s Universal horror picture.  It was, to say the least if not less, interesting.

THE OLD DARK HOUSE is by far my favorite spooky house movie, no contest.  In addition to the great atmosphere all Universal Horrors of the era had, TODH is unique in that there are a lot of characters and just about all of them are fascinating individuals, not boring stereotypes.  There is both humor and horror in this film, a James Whale trademark.  Yes, I'm a big fan of this film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Signor Spumoni

THE OLD DARK HOUSE is by far my favorite spooky house movie, no contest.  In addition to the great atmosphere all Universal Horrors of the era had, TODH is unique in that there are a lot of characters and just about all of them are fascinating individuals, not boring stereotypes.  There is both humor and horror in this film, a James Whale trademark.  Yes, I'm a big fan of this film.

No wonder you have high praise for this movie.  I saw it this week, and I truly enjoyed it for the reasons you specified and more.  Karloff was positively sinister!  I found the book through interlibrary loan and shall read it as soon as it comes in.  I also plan to watch the Bob Hope version of TODH in the next few days.

I also enjoyed "The Cat and The Canary."  I thought the opening scenes, from the title onward, were outstanding.  In fact, they all but stole the show from the bulk of the movie.  I enjoyed this movie, too, for reasons different to TODH.  The comedy was fun and the suspense was good.  I wasn't sure "whodunnit," a good sign.  My favorite comedic scene was Aunt Susan and the milkman.