Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Happy Birthday Shemp... MARCH 11

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Today on Facebook, Shemp's granddaughter posted a recent family find... Shemp's birth certificate.

Based on this, past dates of March 17 (taken from a Universal press release, and printed in The Three Stooges Scrapbook) and March 4 (supplied by Mort Howard, on Shemp's death certificate) appear to be retired.

But it raises another question... where and how does the name spelling of 'Hurvitz' fit into the family's history?

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
But it raises another question... where and how does the name spelling of 'Hurvitz' fit into the family's history?

I suspect it was some clerk's interpretation of Sol's accent.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I've updated the code for the Home page, so it is currently showing Shemp's birthday greetings again.   ;D

Offline FineBari3

It's really, really great to know what is the REAL date for sure!

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, about "Hurvitz" being spelled phonetically.

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline hiramhorwitz

Interestingly, Hurwitz, a slight variation of Hurvitz, is the last name given for Moe in the Erasmus Hall High School alumni directory (see attachment). 

The portion of the page showing Moe's 1915 classmates is obscured due to being located near the book's spine -- so here are the classmates' names, for those interested:  Margaret Esquirol, Walter Gruber, Jeanne Kissen, and Milton Williamson.   

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dog Hambone

I suspect it was some clerk's interpretation of Sol's accent.

I agree. Also, in several eastern European languages, a "w" is pronounced like a "v".

Offline Moron4392

• Forever Shemp!!!!!!!!!!
  • Team Stooge
  • Puddinhead
  • Moronika For Morons
Hello:

Please do not think me as a know it all, but I do not know how many of you have a cut of "The Three Stooges Family Album", but actually Shemp, Moe and Curly's real last name was 'Gorovitz'.  But with their fathers heavy European accent, the Immigrations Officer mistook the pronunciation as 'Horwitz'.

Hoekstra
Moron4392

Dog Hambone

So now we have Gorovitz in addition to Horwitz, Hurvitz, Hurwitz, etc...

No wonder they Americanized it to Howard for their stage names!