Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Violence in A Snitch in Time Short

Shemp · 2 · 2282

Offline Shemp

I watched A Snitch in Time last night with my kids and almost died laughing, despite having seen it many times before.  However, something new hit me, and that this episode was extremely violent, probably the most violent Shemp episode I've seen, yet to my surprise it was directed by Ed Bernds, who professed many times that he was completely against violent acts and scenes, for fear that children may imitate them.  This episode was as violent as the most violent Jules White episodes, and Jules of course was the one who thrived on such violence.

So what happened? Any theories as to why suddenly Ed resorted to such incredible violence in this episode, such as having rear ends and faces rubbed up against running table saws and having rasps run across foreheads?  I loved it of course, but I just found it so strange that this was not a Jules White episode, but against all odds, actually an Ed Bernds episode.

Any ideas or insight? 

Offline metaldams

My understanding, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, is the only thing Edward Bernds flat out rejected for fear of children doing it, was the eye poke.  The eye poke is more likely to be done than some of the more extreme stuff in A SNITCH IN TIME, which I agree is a hysterical short.  It's been a while since I've seen it.
- Doug Sarnecky