Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What comedy do you enjoy beyond the Stooges?

Offline Squirrelbait

Subject pretty much says it all. Who/what do you like?

My favorite comedy is definitely Dumb And Dumber.
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline metaldams

I like a lot of early sound and silent film comedy, as people who have been posting on the boards with me for years already know.  Too many names to mention, but I'll throw a special shout out to Buster Keaton and W.C. Fields.  This era of film comedy, say 1915 - 1950 thereabouts, is a huge passion of mine.

I don't watch too much TV in general, but I like Married With Children, Seinfeld, South Park, and any televangelist that's on at 3 AM.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Abbott and Costello
The Marx Brothers
Redd Foxx
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Lewis Black
Conan O' Brien
Jon Stewart
Stephen Colbert
Bernie Mac
Dave Chappelle

Plus a bunch of sitcoms, like Married With Children, Bewitched, I Dream Of Jeannie, and too many more to name.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Dumb and Dumber?  Which one is Ruben Amaro Jr. and which one is Charlie Manuel?

Seriously though, my favorite comedy shows have been Hogan's Heroes, McHale's Navy, Married With Children, and Are You Being Served.

For individual comedians, Steven Wright, Dennis Wolfberg, and others from the olden days too numerous to mention.

Offline metaldams

Dumb and Dumber?  Which one is Ruben Amaro Jr. and which one is Charlie Manuel?

Just curious, but was Charlie Manuel dumb in 2008 as well?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Just curious, but was Charlie Manuel dumb in 2008 as well?

As a matter of fact, he was.  Jimy Williams did most of the technical managing of that team, which of course was made up of the players that could execute Cholly's strategy -- the long ball.  Of course, Rube the Boob brought in the dreck that not even Tony LaRussa could do much with.

Offline metaldams

As a matter of fact, he was.  Jimy Williams did most of the technical managing of that team, which of course was made up of the players that could execute Cholly's strategy -- the long ball.  Of course, Rube the Boob brought in the dreck that not even Tony LaRussa could do much with.

Fair enough.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

For my tastes, comedy peaked in the 30's. You had the Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, Buster Keaton, the Marx Brothers, W.C Fields, Wheeler & Woolsey, and Charley Chase active at the same time. I enjoy all of those acts. Though often maligned, Keaton's sound shorts from 1934-1941 are my favorite things he ever did.

One of the only shows that's genuinely funny nowadays is Curb Your Enthusiasm. When firing on all cylinders, that show is about as funny as it gets.

WARNING: Language...

Offline ProfessorStooge

I have always been a comedy lover. Aside from the Stooges, I also love improv comedy, especially Whose Line Is It Anyway? The performers on that show had great talent and chemistry. I am so looking forward to the revival in July.

Offline mbruno

A couple of my favorites are Laurel and Hardy and The Marx Brothers.

Offline vomit

Abbott and Costello
The Marx Brothers
Redd Foxx
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Lewis Black
Conan O' Brien
Jon Stewart
Stephen Colbert
Bernie Mac
Dave Chappelle

Plus a bunch of sitcoms, like Married With Children, Bewitched, I Dream Of Jeannie, and too many more to name.

I like 'em. 

But Benny Hill was comic gold.  Great Britain hasn't done much for the world.  But between Iron Maiden and Benny Hill I will forgive them!
Specto Caelum!

Offline JazzBill

Buster Keaton
Jack Benny
Abbott & Costello
Family Guy
The Chicago Cubs
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline falsealarms

I forgot to mention it earlier, but Seinfeld (the show, not just the person) had its share of hilarious moments.

Offline metaldams

I like 'em. 

But Benny Hill was comic gold.  Great Britain hasn't done much for the world.  But between Iron Maiden and Benny Hill I will forgive them!

You're obviously a rotten filthy sinner for only mentioning Maiden and Benny Hill.  As penance, thou shall kiss the holy facial warts.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

I forgot to mention it earlier, but Seinfeld (the show, not just the person) had its share of hilarious moments.

YES! - love Seinfeld! Actually, Kramer kinda reminds me of Shemp a bit.

"These Pretzels are making me THIRSTY!"
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline metaldams

YES! - love Seinfeld! Actually, Kramer kinda reminds me of Shemp a bit.

"These Pretzels are making me THIRSTY!"

Kramer - Shemp, let's just say you're not the only one who thinks that on this board.  They both have a nervous, herky-jerky disposition at times.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline pipboytaylor

Comedy I like...

The Little Rascals
The Bowery Boys
Don Knotts films
The Andy Griffith Show
Ma & Pa Kettle
The Honeymooners

Modern comedy is terrible to me.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I forgot to add "Beavis and Butthead" to my list of favorites...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

When I was in high school I used to have Beavis's Metallica t-shirt.  Actually, when I was in high school I had every Metallica t shirt.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

That particular B&B episode is my favorite.  Especially when they are screaming along to the Mighty Maiden's "Prisoner" with the convicts.  Great stuff.

And Seinfeld....what can I say?  Best comedy ever?  Close.  That was the last time I actually watched a TV show with any regularity.
Specto Caelum!

Offline vomit

You're obviously a rotten filthy sinner for only mentioning Maiden and Benny Hill.  As penance, thou shall kiss the holy facial warts.

OMG!  How could I forget?  LOVE MOTORHEAD!  Viva la Lemmy!
Specto Caelum!

Offline Seamus

Falsealarms is right on about Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Easily the best comedy on TV right now.  If Fawlty Towers and a Christopher Guest movie had a hilarious love child, it would be CYE.  I just started Season 5 last night, so still have a lot of catching up to do. 

Just about the only other current comedy show I catch and enjoy is the Daily Show.

In addition to the usual vintage stuff that most of us around here enjoy (Marx Brothers, Fields, Keaton, et al.), I've got a lot of love for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I feel like there's an Abbot-and-Costello-shaped gap in my comedy knowledge.  I should do something about that this summer.

Offline Allen Champion

I love the great silent comedians: Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, Langdon, and Arbuckle.  I love Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, the Dead End East Side Bowery Boys, WC Fields, Jackie Gleason and Benny Hill. 
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline metaldams

I love the great silent comedians: Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, Langdon, and Arbuckle.  I love Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, the Dead End East Side Bowery Boys, WC Fields, Jackie Gleason and Benny Hill.

You have good taste.  Even Harry Langdon, who I love.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Marx Brothers, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, pretty much all of the great comedians of Hollywood's golden age.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!