Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Announcement for The Master Debates II

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The inaugural "episode" of The Master Debates is currently ongoing and I hope everyone is enjoying it. I'm in no way trying to take any focus off of TMD I but I feel it is time to announce the topic for TMD II to allow ample time for submissions. So without further adieu, the topic for the second Master Debate is....

From a purely artistic standpoint, when should the Three Stooges have called it quits?

Unlike TMD I this question has more than two answers. It could be anything from "they never should have made a film" (which would be silly since this is a Three Stooges website) to "their canon was perfect, artisically speaking, I wouldn't change a thing" and inbetween. You can pick a landmark moment (when Curly could no longer continue, when Shemp died, when their shorts contracts with Columbia expired, etc) to a particular short or movie.

Every member of this website, with the exceptions of myself and whomever wins TMD I is eligible to participate. All you have to do is send me a short submission via private message explaining what position you will take. I will choose the two submissions that I think will be the most interesting. The due date for these submissions is Sunday, February 1st. The winner will receive a one year subscription to the Three Stooges Journal compliments of threestooges.net.

I look forward to reading the submissions and hope to see even more interest and participation. Good luck and happy master-debating! :P
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
How's the progress for this forum coming along? (Only a week for submission deadline, 'ya know!)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
So far, nada. Remember folks, I'm not asking for much...in fact this time all I really need is the time you think they should have called it quits (artisically speaking).
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

Change the prize. Make the winner receive $1 million. I'll bet you'll get hundreds of submissions in a heartbeat. ;D

Seriously though. This debate seems very interesting, even more so than the first one. I would hate to see this one cease to exist due to lack of participants. I, myself, would love to try this out, but I don't think I'd have the time, patience, and the skills to come up with a good argument. I'm hoping someone else out there would consider trying out for this. It would be a shame if this debate doesn't happen.

Offline curlysdame

• Puddinhead
I would hate to see this one cease to exist due to lack of participants. I, myself, would love to try this out, but I don't think I'd have the time, patience, and the skills to come up with a good argument. I'm hoping someone else out there would consider trying out for this. It would be a shame if this debate doesn't happen.

Same here.   I wouldn't even know where to begin with TMD II topic, lol.  But, that's just me.  I hope you get get the second round off the ground, Jim.   [thumbright]
"Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
If you ask me, the "Stooges" franchise played it out just the way they should have.  As the years went by, the money got better, and they didn't want or NEED to hang 'em up, so to speak.  I'm with them -- As long as they wanted to work, they should have worked.  Put me down for the day Moe fell ill in '75 as the day they should have quit. 

I know..."Was the quality of the work suffering as the years went by?"  Yeah, but people still wanted to SEE them.  thank goodness for the DVD sets that recently came out.....

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You're kind of missing the point of the question. It's not about the money, but from an artistic standpoint when would it have been a good time for them to call it quits? In other words, when it would have been "near perfect".

I don't know about you, but I have a pretty clear opinion on when I think it would have been time to hang 'em up, as it were. Of course I'm not looking for people who share my opinion, the two chosen will be the two I think will make the most interesting debate.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Glad to have sparked interest in this debate topic ... I really want to sit out this round to let other young, noble-minded and opinionated debaters take center stage. Perhaps they still exist in this internet environment of "who cares about grammar" and "let someone else from a TV network tell me what to think" world we live in.

(Gauntlet clattering to floor noise)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline OldFred

• Chucklehead
Change the prize. Make the winner receive $1 million. I'll bet you'll get hundreds of submissions in a heartbeat. ;D

Of course, after necessary deductions, the grand total of the prize would be 67 cents. 67 cents? 67 CENTS!!!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
C'mon you half brothers and sisters to a weasel, do this.  No excuses.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
PS:  I wouldn't encourage you guys to do this if I didn't think you could. Now mingle, or I'll mangle.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

I'm really tempted to send a submission. I already have an answer in mind. The hardest part is coming up with a good, convincing argument. I'll probably submit something to Jim tomorrow if no one sends anything. My argument will probably be a laugh in the face because, let's face it, I'm a terrible "master-debater." ;D But I really want this debate to take place.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I encourage anyone who is thinking about sending a submission to send one. All the submission really needs to be "I think they should have stopped at (time)".

I think you would do a good job, X.

xraffle

I just sent one. If no one is submitting anything, I figured, what the hey! Let's give it a shot. Now, I'm hoping other people here would submit something as well. You'd better or I'll tear you limb from limb.

Offline WhyIOughta

• Beetlebrain
You're kind of missing the point of the question. It's not about the money, but from an artistic standpoint when would it have been a good time for them to call it quits? In other words, when it would have been "near perfect".

I don't know about you, but I have a pretty clear opinion on when I think it would have been time to hang 'em up, as it were. Of course I'm not looking for people who share my opinion, the two chosen will be the two I think will make the most interesting debate.

I didn't miss ANY "point," and I'm not centering on the money, just the history. If "art" is truly in the eye of the beholder, and the Three Stooges and their work was indeed a work of art in film, as one may be led to believe, then the "art of the act" didn't end until the act ended itself, when what I would consider the guiding force of the act (Moe Howard) passed on in 1975.  It's not up to the curators of the museum to toss out what THEY think is "the worst painting Gaugin ever did."

Again, for those that have "soitenly" missed the true nature of my effort, I re-submit for the cause.  This reporter considers ALL of the body of work of The Three Stooges as a complete work of art, "treasures from an artistic standpoint," and wouldn't dream of throwing out any of it to satisfy anyone's definition of same.  Now, approaching the model from a comedic standpoint may be an entirely different matter...so says the man looking to frame his check for 67 cents......    :D

xraffle

I didn't miss ANY "point," and I'm not centering on the money, just the history. If "art" is truly in the eye of the beholder, and the Three Stooges and their work was indeed a work of art in film, as one may be led to believe, then the "art of the act" didn't end until the act ended itself, when what I would consider the guiding force of the act (Moe Howard) passed on in 1975.  It's not up to the curators of the museum to toss out what THEY think is "the worst painting Gaugin ever did."

Again, for those that have "soitenly" missed the true nature of my effort, I re-submit for the cause.  This reporter considers ALL of the body of work of The Three Stooges as a complete work of art, "treasures from an artistic standpoint," and wouldn't dream of throwing out any of it to satisfy anyone's definition of same.  Now, approaching the model from a comedic standpoint may be an entirely different matter...so says the man looking to frame his check for 67 cents......    :D

There you go. You have an idea right there. This topic has several answers. If you believe 1975 is the time the stooges should have called it quits, then go for it. Submit your answer via private message to Shemps#1 and try out for this debate.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well if you want to take a shot just send me a PM.