The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Threestooges.net's Great Experiment For 2009

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Hello all,

Welcome to what I hope will become a fun monthly feature here on threestooges.net I like to call "The Master Debates". The idea behind this is to allow members to show off their writing prowess, passion, and skills of persuasion in a debate style format. Here's how it will work:

1. Each month I will select a topic of interest. The topic may be Stooges related or may not be, but it will a topic of which one of two sides can be taken.

2. Anyone interested should private message me with a short (300 words or less) response explaining the stance they are taking with the issue at hand. Responses should be eloquent, well-thought out and have correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.

3. I will select two members, one to represent each side of the issue, to elaborate their stance in this forum in an attempt to convince the public (and more importantly, the judges) that they are right.

4. Once each contestant has posted their stance on the issue I will allow each contestant a "rebuttal" of their opponents stance.

5. I will select a panel of four judges once the contestants are selected. These judges and I reserve the right to ask the contestants questions pertaining to their stances should they desire, and the judges will decide who wins by casting a vote. If the judges are split I will cast the deciding vote.

6. The winner not only receives the prestigious title of Master Debater, but also a one year subscription to The Three Stooges Journal. The winner will also be invited to be a judge for the next month.

7. Any member of this website, no matter what your post count, is eligible to enter..except for myself of course.

I've had this concept percolating in my head for a few weeks now and thought it might be fun and at the very least an interesting experiment.

The inaugural topic for the month of January is.....

Who was the better Stooge: Joe Besser or Joe Derita?

For example, if you wish to enter and think Derita was the better Stooge, you would send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE less than 300 words on why Curly-Joe was better. If I choose you to represent Derita, you would then elaborate on what you sent me and make your case on this board while your opponent does the same for Besser.

For the time being I am setting a date of January 5, 2009 for when the stances should be ready for public consumption (I'm ironing out the bugs as we go along here), so...I'm thinking between now and the 27th I'll be taking requests to be included. In the private message please use "Master Debates: Derita" or Master Debates: Besser" as your subject depending on which side you are taking.

Thank you, put on those thinking caps, and good luck.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
I like the contest, but it is not needed to tell me I'm a "Master Debater."  Why, every night, I cuddle up with my teddy bear, some Smores crackers, a box of Puff tissues, some Barry Manilow Copa Cabana music, my favorite National Geographic magazine and......oh you mean something else, don't you?  Nevermind, I'll just hide away now.

Oh, and I'll gladly take up Besser's side in this debate.  I'll private message you when I'm ready.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I like the contest, but it is not needed to tell me I'm a "Master Debater."  Why, every night, I cuddle up with my teddy bear, some Smores crackers, a box of Puff tissues, some Barry Manilow Copa Cabana music, my favorite National Geographic magazine and......oh you mean something else, don't you?  Nevermind, I'll just hide away now.

Whoa!  Too much information, dude! [yikes]

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
BUMP
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Hey, all you lack-wit nerf herders! THIS is your chance to show the world that you ... yes, YOU ... can spell and capitalize and punctuate properly! AND at the same time, actually take a stand on a current topic! DON'T let next-door neighbor Billy-Bob (with no front teeth and a girlfriend named Bubbles) tell you that having an aversion to grammar is a necessary tool in order to communicate points of interest on the internet! We, as an internet global community, NEED a focused and informed populace capable of delivering ideas and inspirations in a concise and candid format. Otherwise, we are just looking at shit, worthy of only the flush.

So ... challenge me! I've PM'd Shemps#1 and offered a stand for Joe Derita as the better Stooge than Joe Besser (which I've heard rumor that Metaldams is competing to represent).

This can be your brightest moment in internet history!! .... SUBMIT NOW!

The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Looks life Giff is throwing down the gauntlet!

Seriously, I think we have the members on this site that can make this concept interesting and thought provoking. I do hope to get some more applications as I think the majority of the fans here are bright, knowledgeable and articulate enough to excel: or else I wouldn't have suggested it.

I'll also be looking for judges once the participants are announced. Dunrobin himself will be one of the judges for the first Master Debate.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I've gotten a few complaints about the proximity of the due date and the holidays, so I'm extending the submission deadline until Jan. 5th with the cases due by the 12th.

I'm ironing out the kinks as we go along, folks.