Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Shemp....
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on Today at 06:59:31 PM »
As a kid I was more into Curly because I loved his child like persona and even found myself imitating him, while I did like Shemp growing up but I didn't find him to be as funny or out there like I did with Curly, as I've gotten older I grew to find Shemp to be nearly as good as Curly although I find some of the Shemp episodes to be a bit more hit and miss than the Curly episodes, now I find some of the best Shemp episodes to be on par with the best Curly episodes, I do wish most of the later Shemp films didn't have recycled footage from his earlier shorts, that was the reason why I tend to like some of the Joe Besser episodes more than the recycled Shemp shorts.

I've thought the best era of the Shemp episodes was when they've had both Jules White & Hugh McCollum producing them.
Very underrated stooge short from the wonderful year of 1940, I loved the scene where Moe & Larry were freezing cold while sleeping while Curly took the blankets all for himself along with Curly using the guitars for shoes! I wish Kathryn Sheldon had appeared in more stooge shorts because she gives a great performance as the Belle's mother.

I give this short a 10/10, I even like this short better than the more popular "A Plumbing We Will Go".
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Pies and Guys (1958)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 10, 2017, 11:40:21 PM »
While this short is easier to watch than Half Wits Holiday due to Curly's alarming health deterioration I didn't think the supporting actors for this short were nearly as good as the supporting actors in Half Wits Holiday, I especially thought Milton Frome was a poor replacement for Vernon Dent's original character, especially the scene where he yells "NOOOOO!!!!!" That scene was cringeworthy IMO, Gene Roth and Greta Thyssen at least do a decent job with their roles.

Overall not one of the best Besser shorts but definitely not one of the worst, I give this one a 5/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Pardon My Clutch (1948)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 10, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
I could never understand the high praise people have for this short, I've always thought this short was only good at best but would've been better if they would've chosen another actor to play Claude instead of Matt McHugh, I've thought he gave a poor performance as Claude and was someone who I've found annoying, also he never really seemed like he was all that friendly towards the stooges either.

I do love Emil Sitka's character turning out to be a mental patient along with seeing Claude becoming selfish and greedy towards the end of the episode only to realize he didn't get what he wanted, this is one short that gets rolling towards the end of the episode.

Overall I give this short a 7/10 due to how good the final section of the short was along with Larry and Moe's "fish" line.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Bubble Trouble (1953)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 10, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
I actually like this short better than "All Gummed Up" because I've seen this one before I've seen "Gummed" and always preferred seeing Emil Sitka turning into a gorilla instead of a baby in the original, plus it was great seeing the gorilla raising hell and what happens to Moe at the end of the episode is hilarious!

I give this short a 7/10 because the new footage was IMO very good although I wish there was more of it.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Hold That Lion! (1947)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 10, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »
Shemp's first great short and my favorite scene is when the lion was licking Moe's foot and Moe was laughing, I also love the howling noise the lion was making and the stooges tricking the train guard in the ladies room, another scene I love that rarely gets mentioned is the one where the stooges pull on a guy's beard thinking it was fake (which it wasn't), I thought it was great seeing Curly's cameo appearance and all of the stooges together with him, it took me years to figure out that was Curly.

Overall I give this short a 9/10 and it's the best stooge short released since "Micro-Phonies".
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Booby Dupes (1945)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 10, 2017, 02:43:26 AM »
Great later Curly short and the final short Del Lord directed with Curly, I've thought this was Del Lord's best short he directed since "Higher Than A Kite", Curly seems to be a tad off in the scene where the stooges were in a car but he seems to show more energy in the rest of the short, I absolutely love it when Larry tells Moe to shut up followed by Moe asking Larry if he was talking to him, Larry claims he was talking to the fish and Moe slaps Larry before telling him does he look like a sucker! The scenes where the stooges were on the boat were hilarious along with the scenes where they were buying a boat from a dishonest salesman, Curly's beach scene was still good although it did seem like a filler scene to me.

I give this short a 9/10 and there won't be too many classic/near classic Curly shorts left after this one.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: What's the Matador? (1942)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 09, 2017, 10:40:21 PM »
A short that I find to be really good but not great, also is it just me or did the eyepoke Moe give to Larry seem more painful than ever? That eyepoke there looked like it really hurt, there weren't really any classic scenes in this short but I did find it to be an enjoyable, above average stooge short to watch from the beginning to the end.

While this short isn't a classic but it is a masterpiece compared to its remake "Sappy Bullfighters", I give "Matador" an 8/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Busy Buddies (1944)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 09, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »
The diner scenes were hilarious but afterwards the laughs and humor became less frequent, plus the milking scenes were boring and forgettable, I wish they would've chosen another actor to play the rival instead of Eddie Gribben (sp), he was one of the worst stooge foils of all time and his "foul" line was very poor, Curly seems to be a tad off in this short and seems to be losing his energy around this time, Moe also doesn't dish out much punishment and it's one of the few shorts where Moe doesn't hit Larry.

I give this short a 6/10 because the diner scenes were up there with the stooges best work.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: How High is Up? (1940)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on December 09, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »
One of my favorite stooge shorts, the boys (especially Moe & Curly) give out great performances and it has one great scene after another, I loved Moe's "Groundhog" line, Curly being startled by them working on the 97th floor and Curly eating the rivet! I also loved the hot rivet going down Vernon Dent's shirt!

One of the stooges best shorts that I give a 10/10, the stooges were definitely in their prime with this short!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10