Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
And yes, as far as the features were concerned, ALL of the Curly Joe films were released to VHS as well.
As mentioned here already, all 97 of the Curly shorts were released on the Columbia tapes. If my math skills are correct, the following list would comprise 54 Shemp shorts released onto VHS. All were on Columbia tapes unless otherwise noted:

Fright Night
Out West
Hold That Lion
Brideless Groom (Not on any Columbia Tapes - Public Domain)
Sing A Song Of Six Pants
All Gummed Up
Shivering Sherlocks
Pardon My Clutch
Squareheads Of The Round Table
Fiddlers Three
The Hot Scots
Heavenly Daze
I'm A Monkey's Uncle
Mummy's Dummies
Crime On Their Hands
The Ghost Talks
Who Done It?
Hokus Pokus
Fuelin' Around
Malice In The Palace (Not on any Columbia Tapes - Public Domain)
Vagabond Loafers
Dunked In The Deep
Punchy Cowpunchers
Dopey Dicks
Love At First Bite (Goodtimes release)
Three Hams On Rye (Goodtimes release)
Studio Stoops
A Snitch In Time
Three Arabian Nuts
Baby Sitters' Jitters (Goodtimes release)
Don't Throw That Knife (Goodtimes release)
Scrambled Brains
Merry Mavericks
The Tooth Will Out
Hula-La-La
Pest Man Wins
A Missed Fortune
Listen Judge
Corny Casanovas
He Cooked His Goose (Goodtimes release - also appeared on a Columbia Tape)
Gents In A Jam
Three Dark Horses
Cuckoo On A Choo-Choo (Goodtimes release)
Loose Loot (Goodtimes release)
Spooks (Goodtimes release)
Bubble Trouble
Goof On The Roof
Income Tax Sappy (Goodtimes release)
Musty Musketeers (Goodtimes release)
Shot In The Frontier (Goodtimes release)
Wham-Bam-Slam (Goodtimes release)
Husbands Beware (Goodtimes release)
Rumpus In The Harem (Goodtimes release)
Scheming Schemers (Goodtimes release)

There you have it. 151 shorts were released on VHS with 39 still stuck in limbo. Hope this helps!
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: The Balloonatic (1923) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on September 24, 2017, 09:32:53 PM »
Hey, Metal, congratulations on 6,000 posts !  Good lord, I despair of making even 1,000, and I've been at this for years !
Music That Sucks / Re: #35 Paul McCartney A.B. (After Beatles)
« Last post by Tony Bensley on September 24, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »
Glad to know I'm not the only who likes Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert.
"Be a gypsy, get around, get around. Get your feet up off the ground, live a little, get around!"

Yep, I like this one too, along with many other of Sir Paul's post Beatles tunes!

I did nevertheless find shemp#1's MTS posting hilarious, though!  There's room for all viewpoints.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: The Love Nest (1923) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on September 23, 2017, 11:18:09 PM »
Being Keaton's last silent short, THE LOVE NEST was actually a pretty good place for him to end at before starting his own features. Joe Roberts is just wonderful as the captain. His reactions whenever his crew members screw up are just wonderful and it does lead to a nice running gag with Keaton and the wreaths, though I do have to wonder why Roberts didn't throw Keaton off after the coffee incident, considering his limited patience with the other crew members. I also really enjoyed the porthole gag. Seeing Keaton's reaction after Roberts hands him the picture is just priceless.

Once again, there is a lot of excitement to this short such as with the whale or when Keaton is sinking the ship. However, the part towards the end with the navy and their target practice feels pretty unnecessary and just kind of drags on a bit. Still, Keaton does give a spirited performance and does show that he could have continued in shorts if he really needed to.

9 out of 10
Weekly Episode Discussions / The Love Nest (1923) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Paul Pain on September 23, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »

Watch THE LOVE NEST in the box above and get the Damfino's note here:
http://www.busterkeaton.com/Films/B19_The_Love_Nest.html

Does anybody like the Youtube box I post every week?  This short is a precious way to end the second phase of our journey.  We may or may not include his Educational shorts; that's TBD.

The basic concept is that Keaton is escaping spurned love on a dreamy journey.  His misadventures are hilarious as he has run-in after run-in with Joe Roberts.  Somehow, though, he endears himself to escape the murderous fate or his shipmates.  Even he gets murderous and murdered in Stooge fashion!

Great moments: sealing the envelope with his tears, the shoe polish beard, Buster throwing the wreaths, playing solitaire after killing Roberts to sink the ship, and his post-awakening realizations.

Sorry, but I love this short.

10/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Introduction to the weekly episode discussions
« Last post by Paul Pain on September 23, 2017, 01:39:13 PM »
Yeah, things are normal.  Get ready for THE LOVE NEST review; I probably will do it this evening.
Tony, I held onto my GOOF ON THE ROOF VHS for the very reason you mentioned. 

As for the Goodtimes sets, which came out in 1990.

Vol. 1 Loose Loot, Rumpus in the Harem, Scheming Schemers
Vol. 2 Husbands Beware, Musty Musketeers, Wham-Bam-Slam!
Vol. 3 Cuckoo on a Choo Choo, Love at First Bite, Shot in the Frontier
Vol. 4 Baby Sitters Jitters, Don't Throw That Knife, He Cooked His Goose
Vol. 5 Income Tax Sappy, Spooks!, Three Hams on Rye

http://threestooges.net/videography/index/vhs/8/20

Above is a link to the VHS videography.
There's even a few "Fake Shemp" shorts in that Goodtimes lot, and interestingly two of them in the volume 1 set, at that!  I imagine that Columbia sub-licensed these (mostly) lesser Shemp Howard featured 3 Stooges shorts to them for peanuts?  However, I suppose that even Goodtimes had no love for poor Joe Besser!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
Tony, I held onto my GOOF ON THE ROOF VHS for the very reason you mentioned. 

As for the Goodtimes sets, which came out in 1990.

Vol. 1 Loose Loot, Rumpus in the Harem, Scheming Schemers
Vol. 2 Husbands Beware, Musty Musketeers, Wham-Bam-Slam!
Vol. 3 Cuckoo on a Choo Choo, Love at First Bite, Shot in the Frontier
Vol. 4 Baby Sitters Jitters, Don't Throw That Knife, He Cooked His Goose
Vol. 5 Income Tax Sappy, Spooks!, Three Hams on Rye

http://threestooges.net/videography/index/vhs/8/20

Above is a link to the VHS videography.
      I got rid of them, but I literally owned every VHS tape Sony released.  Three shorts a tape, with one short taking the title of the tape.  It's true, all the Curly's made it and a majority, if not all of the original Shemps appeared. Very few stock footage jobs, though BUBBLE TROUBLE made it.  No Besser shorts but the five Derita Columbia films were also in the series.  Goodtimes also released five volumes of Shemp shorts. Some were originals but mostly stock footage films were in these volumes.  In addition, AMC aired a syndicated package of 130 shorts, so a handful of shorts not released on VHS were included that were were able to record off television.  With all this, there were still some Shemp shorts missing, including originals (it was years before I saw Hugs and Mugs and Slaphappy Sleuths), and since only six of the sixteen Bessers were in the syndicated package, ten of the Bessers were hard to find.  This is what being a Stooge fan was like in the early 2000's.

Sony then went to DVD, released maybe five or six shorts at a time, and then made the ill fated decision to released colorized versions, which I refused to buy.  Then the eight volumes came out, and the world lived happily ever after.  If you told me fifteen years ago all 190 would be released, in addition to the Stooge solo as well as all the Columbia Buster Keaton and Charley Chase shorts, I would have looked at you like you have two heads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10