Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Phony Express (1943)
« Last post by Tony Bensley on Today at 10:44:26 PM »
Just watched it.  It is actually a pretty good short.  The boys all hit their marks, and Bud Jamison is as irritable as ever.  I think the scene with Curly attacking the skunk was the kind of role he was best suited to: that of a lovable nutcase.  I think what makes this short seem so average is that this type of plot, while unique to this point of Stooge history, was heavily abused during the Shemp era, with two or three shorts with this premise being made, and then all being remade a second time.
I actually associate PHONY EXPRESS (1943) with YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA (1939), no doubt, in large part, because they were both on the only VHS cassette of Three Stooges shorts (PHONY EXPRESS & OTHER NYUKS, with UNCIVIL WARRIORS (1935) being the other short.) that I had for the longest time.  That said, they do seem fairly similar to me, and of course, Curly is in fine form in both!  In fact, it was these two shorts that helped me decide that Curly was (And still is!) my favorite Stooge!

I give PHONY EXPRESS a solid 8!  [cool]

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
Hey, Metal, congratulations on 6,000 posts !  Good lord, I despair of making even 1,000, and I've been at this for years !

Thanks man.  It took me over 15 years to get over 6,000.
When I rediscovered The Three Stooges in my early twenties, the first thing I bought was a 20 dollar 5 VHS tape of public domain stuff.  I watched the video with the four PD shorts multiple times, but yes, SWING PARADE OF 1946 was the very first tape.
SWING PARADE got a VHS release, though I believe that it's in the public domain (correct me if I'm wrong), so that may be the reason it got one.
SWING PARADE OF 1946 was a Monogram Feature, which I believe is in the Public Domain, although Warner, who has the rights to the Monogram catalog, released it on DVD some years back.  I have the Legend Films DVD edition, which has a Colorized and a Black & White version.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

# Is it safe to assume that none of the Curly featured Three Stooges Feature Length appearances were ever released on VHS?
SWING PARADE got a VHS release, though I believe that it's in the public domain (correct me if I'm wrong), so that may be the reason it got one.
As mentioned here already, all 97 of the Curly shorts were released on the Columbia tapes. If my math skills are correct, the following list would comprise 54 Shemp shorts released onto VHS. All were on Columbia tapes unless otherwise noted:

Fright Night
Out West
Hold That Lion
Brideless Groom (Not on any Columbia Tapes - Public Domain)
Sing A Song Of Six Pants
All Gummed Up
Shivering Sherlocks
Pardon My Clutch
Squareheads Of The Round Table
Fiddlers Three
The Hot Scots
Heavenly Daze
I'm A Monkey's Uncle
Mummy's Dummies
Crime On Their Hands
The Ghost Talks
Who Done It?
Hokus Pokus
Fuelin' Around
Malice In The Palace (Not on any Columbia Tapes - Public Domain)
Vagabond Loafers
Dunked In The Deep
Punchy Cowpunchers
Dopey Dicks
Love At First Bite (Goodtimes release)
Three Hams On Rye (Goodtimes release)
Studio Stoops
A Snitch In Time
Three Arabian Nuts
Baby Sitters' Jitters (Goodtimes release)
Don't Throw That Knife (Goodtimes release)
Scrambled Brains
Merry Mavericks
The Tooth Will Out
Hula-La-La
Pest Man Wins
A Missed Fortune
Listen Judge
Corny Casanovas
He Cooked His Goose (Goodtimes release - also appeared on a Columbia Tape)
Gents In A Jam
Three Dark Horses
Cuckoo On A Choo-Choo (Goodtimes release)
Loose Loot (Goodtimes release)
Spooks (Goodtimes release)
Bubble Trouble
Goof On The Roof
Income Tax Sappy (Goodtimes release)
Musty Musketeers (Goodtimes release)
Shot In The Frontier (Goodtimes release)
Wham-Bam-Slam (Goodtimes release)
Husbands Beware (Goodtimes release)
Rumpus In The Harem (Goodtimes release)
Scheming Schemers (Goodtimes release)

There you have it. 151 shorts were released on VHS with 39 still stuck in limbo. Hope this helps!

Huge thanks, Squirrelbait for your full listing of all The Three Stooges Shemp Howard featured Columbia Shorts released on VHS!

Here's my revised listing, below.

With Jerome "Curly" Howard (1934 - 1947):
Shorts (001 - 097) -
Everything from The Three Stooges Columbia debut WOMAN HATERS (1934) through HALF-WITS HOLIDAY (1947)

Features (To Be Determined#) -

With Shemp Howard (1947 - 1956):
Shorts (098 - 173, With some exclusions, including his final 174 COMMOTION ON THE OCEAN (1956)!) -
54 of 77 Shorts (Including 2 of the"Fake Shemps") from Shemp's Columbia Stooges debut, FRIGHT NIGHT (1947) through SCHEMING SCHEMERS (1956)

Features (None Made At Columbia) -

With Joe Besser (1957 - 1959):
Shorts (None*) -
0 of 16 Shorts

With "Curly" Joe DeRita (1959 - 1965):
Features -
All of The Three Stooges Columbia Features from 1959 onward, including

HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL (1959)
THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES (1962)
THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT (1962)
THE THREE STOOGES GO 'ROUND THE WORLD IN A DAZE (1963)
THE OUTLAWS IS COMING (1965)

# Is it safe to assume that none of the Curly featured Three Stooges Feature Length appearances were ever released on VHS?

* Stoogearchy seriously came into play on the VHS format regarding Joe Besser's complete exclusion, no doubt! ;)

By my count, Columbia issued 45 VHS cassettes with 3 Three Stooges shorts on each, comprising 135 shorts total.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

P.S.  Dare I ask what other Columbia shorts (Besides RUMPUS IN THE HAREM (1956)) and features were issued to Laserdisc?  [pie]
Stooges DVD/VHS/Home Video / Stage Mother - 10/17/17
« Last post by falsealarms on Today at 09:52:01 AM »
Warner Archive is releasing Stage Mother (1933) on DVD-R on October 17. The film is making its home video debut.

Ted Healy has a featured supporting role and Larry appears briefly as a music department customer.

WBSHOP Page: http://www.wbshop.com/product/stage+mother+%281933%29+%28mod%29+1000691565.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

Stage Mother at threestooges.net: http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/240
Rumpus in the Harem was also released by Columbia in a laserdisc box set.
And yes, as far as the features were concerned, ALL of the Curly Joe films were released to VHS as well.
As mentioned here already, all 97 of the Curly shorts were released on the Columbia tapes. If my math skills are correct, the following list would comprise 54 Shemp shorts released onto VHS. All were on Columbia tapes unless otherwise noted:

Fright Night
Out West
Hold That Lion
Brideless Groom (Not on any Columbia Tapes - Public Domain)
Sing A Song Of Six Pants
All Gummed Up
Shivering Sherlocks
Pardon My Clutch
Squareheads Of The Round Table
Fiddlers Three
The Hot Scots
Heavenly Daze
I'm A Monkey's Uncle
Mummy's Dummies
Crime On Their Hands
The Ghost Talks
Who Done It?
Hokus Pokus
Fuelin' Around
Malice In The Palace (Not on any Columbia Tapes - Public Domain)
Vagabond Loafers
Dunked In The Deep
Punchy Cowpunchers
Dopey Dicks
Love At First Bite (Goodtimes release)
Three Hams On Rye (Goodtimes release)
Studio Stoops
A Snitch In Time
Three Arabian Nuts
Baby Sitters' Jitters (Goodtimes release)
Don't Throw That Knife (Goodtimes release)
Scrambled Brains
Merry Mavericks
The Tooth Will Out
Hula-La-La
Pest Man Wins
A Missed Fortune
Listen Judge
Corny Casanovas
He Cooked His Goose (Goodtimes release - also appeared on a Columbia Tape)
Gents In A Jam
Three Dark Horses
Cuckoo On A Choo-Choo (Goodtimes release)
Loose Loot (Goodtimes release)
Spooks (Goodtimes release)
Bubble Trouble
Goof On The Roof
Income Tax Sappy (Goodtimes release)
Musty Musketeers (Goodtimes release)
Shot In The Frontier (Goodtimes release)
Wham-Bam-Slam (Goodtimes release)
Husbands Beware (Goodtimes release)
Rumpus In The Harem (Goodtimes release)
Scheming Schemers (Goodtimes release)

There you have it. 151 shorts were released on VHS with 39 still stuck in limbo. Hope this helps!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10