Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Three Little Beers (1935)
« Last post by MrHaroldG2000 on November 23, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »
Stooge Goof alert:

WRONG DAY OF YEAR. The date on the entry blank showing the prize money for the golf tournament is listed as "Sunday, December 19, 1935." December 19, 1935 fell on a Thursday.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Booty and the Beast (1953)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 22, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »
I remember being very disappointed that we've had to endure stock footage from "Hold That Lion" after how good the new footage was in this short and felt it would've been a good original short, I wish there was at least a couple new scenes after the stooges leave the house.

I agree with many that the next short "Loose Loot" was a far better remake of "Hold That Lion" than this short was.

Overall I give "Booty" a 6 out of 10 due to how good the new footage was, if "Booty" was an original short I would've given it an 8.5 out of 10.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Cuckoo On a Choo Choo (1952)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 22, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »
Not one of the best episodes the Stooges have ever done but definitely not one of the worst either, the boys are in separated form again but I've thought it worked better here than it did in "He Cooked His Goose" (which I did not like), I liked how weird and different this short is to your typical stooge short and it was good seeing the boys do something different.

Overall I give this short a 7/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Monkey Businessmen (1946)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 22, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
Good stooge short and one of the better shorts produced during Curly's post-stroke period, I'm glad this short was directed by Edward Bernds instead of Jules White because Bernds found a way to get around Curly's health to where he can show some contributions instead of pushing Curly in the background like Jules White did during this time period, I also thought Kenneth MacDonald gave a great, memorable performance as Dr. Mallard in his debut with the Stooges, also is it just me or is this one of the rare shorts where Moe doesn't hit Larry?

I give Monkey Businessmen a 7/10.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Dizzy Pilots (1943)
« Last post by Percy Pomeroy on November 22, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
Solid short. Not one of the greats, but very entertaining nonetheless. 8/10.

My favorite bit, that has not been mentioned, is when Moe orders Larry to roll him a cigarette in an open cockpit plane. A quick thinking Larry hands Moe a cigar instead.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: The General (1926) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Paul Pain on November 21, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
Second thing I want to do before getting to the meat of the review is mention something Paul touched on, and that's the Civil War aspect and culture.  I am 38 years old as of this writing, so we're only talking about 15 years or so when I watched THE GENERAL in a college classroom with no trouble at all, no disclaimers needed.  I can't imagine that today.  Paul, congrats on being a millennial who seems to have a nuanced view on the Civil War, understanding there were several important factors involved and it is more complicated than having anything but a one sided view against the South makes one a Nazi.  The Civil War was a travesty that deserves some serious thought, research, and more than a quick assumption.  I mention this because for several decades now, THE GENERAL has been hailed as Keaton's greatest work, but I can seriously see this changing over the next ten years due to Keaton helping the South in this film.  I hope it doesn't come to that, because THE GENERAL is truly an amazing film.

Sadly, few people are capable of such thought as we are; they're too brainwashed into blind hatred of whatever they weren't raised in.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Sweet and Hot (1958)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 21, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
I remember the first time I've seen this short was back in the Summer of 1996 on the Family Channel and I was shocked and appalled with how horrible this short was, I couldn't even finish it because it was so awful (something I rarely do with a Stooge short regardless of who appeared in it), fast forward to 2007 I've watched this short again online and while I liked it better than I did in 1996 but I agree it was one of the worst stooge shorts of all time, overall it's not quite as bad as Triple Crossed and Horsing Around.

Overall I give this short a 2/10 because it did contain a few minor funny scenes.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Dizzy Pilots (1943)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 21, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »
Great episode but was a little disappointed when they've decided to add footage from "Boobs In Arms" towards the end of the episode considering how great this episode was, the scene where Moe goes up like a balloon is one of my all time favorite Stooge moments and the methods Curly & Larry use to get him down are a classic! This short also features one of my favorite Larry moments where he was asking Moe & Curly if they're going steady, of course Moe slaps him for that line!

Overall I give this short a 9/10 (would've been a 10/10 if it wasn't for the "Boobs In Arms" footage).
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: We Want Our Mummy (1939)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 21, 2017, 01:51:22 PM »
Classic stooge short that is full of energy and fast paced, Curly is definitely the star of this short and this is one of his greatest performances, I especially loved the desert scenes where Curly is swimming in the sand and Moe is looking at his telescope right into Larry's hair thinking it was something else, another great scene is Curly being dressed up as a mummy and him and Dick Curtis's character having a brief discussion about the World Series, I find it strange that this was James Morton's last Stooge short he appeared in, he was always a great foil to the boys and wish he'd gotten to appear in many of the early 1940's shorts.

I give this short a 10/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Idiots De Luxe (1945)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 21, 2017, 02:20:41 AM »
Great episode and the last Stooge short before Curly started suffering a string of minor strokes, Moe is definitely the star of the short and really enjoyed seeing him as a sick man who's nerves are shot, he somewhat reminds me of Shemp in this role, Larry and Curly also do a good job as Moe's moronic but well meaning partners in crime (a formula we'll be seeing more often during the Shemp era), Curly seems to be a little bit of energy in this episode but his performance here is pure gold than many of the upcoming Stooge shorts (especially the upcoming short "If A Body Meets A Body").

My favorite scenes are the bear driving off in the Stooges car and wrecking it, Moe trying to eyepoke Curly but Curly blocks him with a gun, Curly & Larry being blamed for eating Moe's food when it was the bear eating it and the two man quartet

This is one episode that seems to be funnier with each viewing.

Not quite a classic but definitely a great episode, I give "Idiots Deluxe" a 9/10
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10