Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Tony, I held onto my GOOF ON THE ROOF VHS for the very reason you mentioned. 

As for the Goodtimes sets, which came out in 1990.

Vol. 1 Loose Loot, Rumpus in the Harem, Scheming Schemers
Vol. 2 Husbands Beware, Musty Musketeers, Wham-Bam-Slam!
Vol. 3 Cuckoo on a Choo Choo, Love at First Bite, Shot in the Frontier
Vol. 4 Baby Sitters Jitters, Don't Throw That Knife, He Cooked His Goose
Vol. 5 Income Tax Sappy, Spooks!, Three Hams on Rye

http://threestooges.net/videography/index/vhs/8/20

Above is a link to the VHS videography.
There's even a few "Fake Shemp" shorts in that Goodtimes lot, and interestingly two of them in the volume 1 set, at that!  I imagine that Columbia sub-licensed these (mostly) lesser Shemp Howard featured 3 Stooges shorts to them for peanuts?  However, I suppose that even Goodtimes had no love for poor Joe Besser!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
Tony, I held onto my GOOF ON THE ROOF VHS for the very reason you mentioned. 

As for the Goodtimes sets, which came out in 1990.

Vol. 1 Loose Loot, Rumpus in the Harem, Scheming Schemers
Vol. 2 Husbands Beware, Musty Musketeers, Wham-Bam-Slam!
Vol. 3 Cuckoo on a Choo Choo, Love at First Bite, Shot in the Frontier
Vol. 4 Baby Sitters Jitters, Don't Throw That Knife, He Cooked His Goose
Vol. 5 Income Tax Sappy, Spooks!, Three Hams on Rye

http://threestooges.net/videography/index/vhs/8/20

Above is a link to the VHS videography.
      I got rid of them, but I literally owned every VHS tape Sony released.  Three shorts a tape, with one short taking the title of the tape.  It's true, all the Curly's made it and a majority, if not all of the original Shemps appeared. Very few stock footage jobs, though BUBBLE TROUBLE made it.  No Besser shorts but the five Derita Columbia films were also in the series.  Goodtimes also released five volumes of Shemp shorts. Some were originals but mostly stock footage films were in these volumes.  In addition, AMC aired a syndicated package of 130 shorts, so a handful of shorts not released on VHS were included that were were able to record off television.  With all this, there were still some Shemp shorts missing, including originals (it was years before I saw Hugs and Mugs and Slaphappy Sleuths), and since only six of the sixteen Bessers were in the syndicated package, ten of the Bessers were hard to find.  This is what being a Stooge fan was like in the early 2000's.

Sony then went to DVD, released maybe five or six shorts at a time, and then made the ill fated decision to released colorized versions, which I refused to buy.  Then the eight volumes came out, and the world lived happily ever after.  If you told me fifteen years ago all 190 would be released, in addition to the Stooge solo as well as all the Columbia Buster Keaton and Charley Chase shorts, I would have looked at you like you have two heads.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: The Balloonatic (1923) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by metaldams on September 21, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »
      First off, yes, that indeed is Babe London!  Thirty years before Nora in SCRAMBLED BRAINS.

Concerning Phyllis Haver, she was a Mack Sennett bathing beauty, no doubt what would have inspired her form fitting twenties style swimsuit.  I wonder what Sennett would have thought of the bikini?  Anyway, she actually had a decent career after this, if not Rene Adoree level, appearing in a later D.W. Griffith silent, THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES (which I saw years ago), and to my surprise was the leading lady in Lon Chaney's last silent film, THUNDER.  Being a huge Chaney film, no doubt I'd know her from THUNDER if it weren't for the fact the film is lost.  I agree she is one of the better Keaton leading ladies and it does have much to do with the fact she's given plenty to do, including a pleasant hot coffee scene, getting wet while grabbing fish, and having Keaton land on her accidentally a few times. 

A very good film overall.  My one minor complaint is a bit more seems to be faked than normal for a Keaton film, though it had to be.  Talking the fake parachute falling down leading to the sloppy edit of Keaton and said chute falling from the tree, and Keaton going down a mini waterfall in a canoe where he lands head first in the water, feet in the air.  Minor complaints, as overall, the short is basically two lonely characters of the opposite sex eventually getting together in a natural outdoor setting with lots of physical comedy.  Keaton and the outdoors is always a calming thing for me to watch, puts a smile on my face.

The standout scenes would have to be Keaton building the wall of rocks in the creek to both simultaneously block the fish and making river shallow so he can grab the fish.  A very cerebral and funny gag, and the wall of rocks eventually crashing as if the dam burst and Keaton getting flooded is a wonderful payoff.  Also major props towards the scene where Keaton does in two bears at once.  Keaton, unaware a bear is behind him, hits a bear in front of him with a rifle on its head.  The momentum of the blow leads the rifle where it's between his leg, barrel behind him going off and shooting the bear behind him, leading into this wonderful domino effect.

I suppose the parachute/canoe going off the waterfall at the end is faked too, kind of has to be, but I'm not bothered in this instant because it's so bizarre I find the gag satisfying.  Back to the beginning, I do enjoy the house of horrors and that crazy chute that spits people out in the street.  Keaton's frightened body language to all boogie men behind the door is fantastic, and his curiosity with the chute leads to him getting squashed by Babe London, who brushes the fall off and goes back in!

Another very good short, because like I've said, not one turkey in the entire Keaton silent era, in my opinion.

9/10
So far, I have found 12 VHS cassettes that feature Shemp Howard.  With 3 shorts on each, that's a total of 36 post Curly Three Stooges Columbia shorts.

Here is a listing, with the "Main Title" of each VHS cassette in bold:

FUELIN' AROUND (1948)
THE HOT SCOTS (1949)
HULA-LA-LA (1951)

I'M A MONKEY'S UNCLE (1948)
MUMMY'S DUMMIES (1948)
SQUAREHEADS OF THE ROUND TABLE (1948)

WHO DONE IT? (1949)
FRIGHT NIGHT (1947)
HOLD THAT LION (1947)

OUT WEST (1947)
PUNCHY COWPUNCHERS (1950)
MERRY MAVERICKS (1951)

LISTEN, JUDGE (1952)
BUBBLE TROUBLE (1953)
DUNKED IN THE DEEP (1949)

VAGABOND LOAFERS (1949)
THE PEST MAN WINS (1951)
THREE DARK HORSES (1952)

DOPEY DICKS (1950)
SCRAMBLED BRAINS (1951)
THE TOOTH WILL OUT (1951)

SHIVERING SHERLOCKS (1948)
STUDIO STOOPS (1950)
CRIME ON THEIR HANDS (1948)

CORNY CASANOVAS (1952)
A MISSED FORTUNE (1952)
HE COOKED HIS GOOSE (1952)

GENTS IN A JAM (1952)
A SNITCH IN TIME (1950)
GOOF ON THE ROOF (1953)*

HEAVENLY DAZE (1948)
THE GHOST TALKS (1949)
HOKUS POKUS (1949)

THREE ARABIAN NUTS (1951)
SING A SONG OF SIX PANTS (1947)
ALL GUMMED UP (1947)

* It occurs to me that GOOF ON THE ROOF (1953) is the one Three Stooges short in which the VHS version might be almost preferred, in that unlike the DVD edition, it was not improperly cropped for widescreen presentation.

Also, barring the existence of more post Curly 3 Stooges VHS cassettes, I think it noteworthy that in terms of the Columbia shorts, there's nothing post 1953, and therefore, no "Fake Shemp" or Joe Besser featured shorts on VHS!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

P.S.  In addition to the above "All Shemp" Three Stooges VHS sets, there is at least one "Mixed" Three Stooges Columbia cassette, which includes one short with Curly Howard, and two with Shemp Howard:

WEE WEE MONSIEUR (1938) - With Curly Howard
PARDON MY CLUTCH (1948) - With Shemp Howard
FIDDLER'S THREE (1948) - With Shemp Howard

Of course, there's also the numerous Three Stooges Public Domain VHS releases that include the Shemp Howard featured BRIDELESS GROOM (1947) alongside the Curly Howard featured DISORDER IN THE COURT (1936), not to mention the multiple PD VHS releases of MALICE IN THE PLACE (1949) and SING A SONG OF SIX PANTS (1947), but at least the latter did also make it on to one of the VHS Columbia releases!
I don't know exact numbers--but as far as the Columbia shorts--all 97 of the Curlys were released, most or half of the Shemps and nothing by Besser. And, all the Deritas made it to VHS...

Thank you very much for this most valued information, Shemp_Diesel!

So, insofar as The Three Stooges Columbia shorts and features, the following was definitely released on VHS:

With Jerome "Curly" Howard (1934 - 1947):
Shorts (001 - 097) -
Everything from The Three Stooges Columbia debut WOMAN HATERS (1934) through HALF-WITS HOLIDAY (1947)

Features (To Be Determined) -

With Shemp Howard (1947 - 1956):
Shorts (To Be Determined, But Probably At Least Half Of Them!) -

Features (None Made At Columbia) -

With Joe Besser (1957 - 1959) -
None*

With "Curly" Joe DeRita (1959 - 1965):
Features -
All of The Three Stooges Columbia Features from 1959 onward

* Stoogearchy seriously came into play on the VHS format regarding Joe Besser's complete exclusion, no doubt! ;)

CHEERS! :)

P.S.  Were any of the "Fake Shemp" shorts released on VHS?
I don't think GOLD RAIDERS ever got a VHS release, since Columbia didn't produce it. Warner Home Video released the DVD version, though I don't think they ever did a VHS release.
I have that particular DVD, which also includes MEET THE BARON (1933), and features one of their previous Ted Healy And His Stooges incarnations.  Regarding these features, I would tend to suspect they were a bit too obscure for VHS release.  I, for one, only discovered their existence via this Forum!

One of these days, I really need to view both of these features in full!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
I don't know exact numbers--but as far as the Columbia shorts--all 97 of the Curlys were released, most or half of the Shemps and nothing by Besser. And, all the Deritas made it to VHS...

I don't think GOLD RAIDERS ever got a VHS release, since Columbia didn't produce it. Warner Home Video released the DVD version, though I don't think they ever did a VHS release.
Stooges DVD/VHS/Home Video / The Three Stooges On VHS (Columbia Shorts And Features)
« Last post by Tony Bensley on September 21, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
For me, the following inquiry is more of a curiosity than anything else:

While I've been able to find that over 100 Three Stooges shorts and Features were released on VHS (Via a 3 Stooges VHS promo from 1996 currently on YouTube!), I'm interested in knowing just how many of their 190 Columbia shorts were eventually released in that format, and which ones were never officially made available for VCR playback!  Also, which of their Starring and/or prominently featured full length features (If any!) never made the VHS cut?

Below is a VHS based Ad from 1996, promoting The Three Stooges Columbia VHS Library:

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10