Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
MOOCHING THROUGH GEORGIA thread will go up tomorrow.
General Discussion / Jules White Audio Interview
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on February 22, 2018, 10:58:59 PM »
Thought I’d share this interview with Stooges director Jules White that I came across. I don’t know what year this was recorded, though he mentions that Moe had passed away by this point, so it at least was post-1975. He talks a bit about some of the other Columbia comedians and focuses mainly on the Stooges for the second half. Assuming most of what he said was true, I found it interesting that he not only lived near the Stooges but apparently socialized with them on a semi-regular basis outside of the studio. It also was sad to hear about his last encounter with Moe and the fact that Moe didn’t even recognize him.

http://www.childrenstvarchive.com/audio/Jules%20White%20%20(The%20Three%20Stooges)%20with%20Paul%20Maher.mp3
General Discussion / Re: Which one would you like to have seen a solo short by?
« Last post by Tony Bensley on February 22, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »
I wrestled between Larry and Curly for a few days.

In the end, I chose Curly because he is my favorite Stooge, and I would have liked to see how a Curly solo would have compared with the best of the Joe De Rita two reelers!

That said, I tend to agree that Larry had the best potential in terms of a sustainable long term short subject series. 

Moe, on the other hand, I believe could have possibly enjoyed some success as a supporting player, not too unlike that of Leo Gorcey, although he was older, obviously.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

« Last post by archiezappa on February 22, 2018, 12:21:41 PM »
My vote is for Larry. I would love to have seen him star in his own movie. However, the thing I would really like to see is a comedy movie directed by Larry. I believe that his comedic timing would have served him well in the director's chair.
Paul Pain, I'm either blind as a bat or dumb as a post, I still don't see any special camera work.  One shot from the side, and one from the back.  Spoil it for me, please.
« Last post by metaldams on February 20, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »
I voted Curly because he has the most unique character, though I believe all three would do a nice job solo.
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on February 19, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
A very interesting question, and for the time being I also would probably have to vote for Larry, as he seemed to hold himself the best in solo performances like GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE, HE COOKED HIS GOOSE, and even CUCKOO ON A CHOO-CHOO (I don’t like the short as a whole, but his performance is pretty impressive).

I think Moe was so closely identified with his personality that it would have been hard to see him as anything but a supporting player, usually as the villain.

As for Curly, his high-pitched voice would have made him a natural for cartoon work, usually playing little characters like fleas or other insects. Had the Fleischer Studios not been located in Florida at the time, I feel he would have been the perfect choice for the voice of “Swat the Fly” in MR. BUG GOES TO TOWN.
We all know that Shemp, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita were each the star of several comedy shorts back in the day. We also all know that none of the "classic" Stooges ever were. Sure, Moe and Curly had their odd little film appearances (generally outside of the classic era of Stooges shorts), while Larry had almost no solo filmography at all; but there was never a true Moe, Larry or Curly solo short.

Which one of the "classic" Stooges would you most like to have seen as the star of at least one solo short, somewhere in the time frame of 1935-45 (for Curly) or 1935-55 (for Moe or Larry)? Can you point to a performance in a particular Stooges short that influences your choice?

After a viewing of GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE, I realized that I would have really liked to have seen a Larry solo short, so he gets my vote.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Pest from the West (1939) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by metaldams on February 18, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »
      I'll start with my thoughts on Keaton at Columbia.  He will never have the budgets, time, or creative freedom he had in his independent silent days, so I can understand Keaton fans being down on these shorts who are not Stooge or Columbia shorts fans.   Heck, Keaton himself was.  However, I'm a Keaton fan who came to him through the influence he had on Columbia shorts, namely The Three Stooges.  One always hears about stories, gags, and writers being used from Keaton films in Stooge shorts.  Since I'm a Stooge/Columbia shorts fan and a Buster fan, I love seeing Buster in this environment, plus I think it's great Buster time with Columbia was the late thirties and early forties, just as the shorts department hit a big creative peak.  So yeah, it's again enjoying these films for what they are versus what they're not.

PEST FROM THE WEST is a nice start to the Columbia series.  It has a nice running gag, literally, of Buster running back and forth to his boat, which has a nice lack of communication between him and his sailors and an excuse for some physical comedy.  Like Paul, I won't do a spoiler.  Buster does seem to be in good energy here, sliding and gliding across the screen to see the girl he desires, and I gotta dig that subtle gag where he takes her long dress, puts the dress on the table and then puts his elbow on the dress to stop her and get her attention.  Funny, physical comic bit.

The supporting cast in this one is fantastic, with Lorna Gray as the girl, plus Richard Fiske (I get a laugh the way he brags about being a bullfighter, the way he comically props himself up), Gino Corrado, and Bud Jamison.  Lorna Gray is fantastic as usual, love the little eye rolls she does and the fact she blatantly plays a woman who juggles her men.  The ending, which I won't give away, is classic Keaton wit and really displays this aspect to her character.

The scene where he serenades Lorna with a ukelele is the most famous bit in the short, and is fantastic in its timing.  Keaton does an almost Edgar Kennedy slow burn, but he never totally boils over.  Also, listen carefully to the soundtrack in that wonderful bit where Keaton and Gino Corrado take turns slamming the cellar door on each other.  When Corrado falls in the basement, the yell dubbed over is none other than that of Curly Howard.

A really fun short.  Yeah, this one's better than all the MGM talkies.

9/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Pest from the West (1939) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Paul Pain on February 18, 2018, 05:29:42 AM »
I give up...I watched the whole thing again with emphasis on the boat scenes.  I saw no special effects other than Cy doubling Carrado.  What are you seeing that I'm not?

You didn't notice the unusual camera angles showing people jumping on and off the boat?  That's something you NEVER see in a Columbia short... ever, but here it is!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10