Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Dizzy Pilots (1943)
« Last post by Tony Bensley on Today at 06:07:13 PM »
http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/74
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035814/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Another WWII short......kind of, sort of.  If you notice the letter the boys receive about their military deferment for one month to give them time to work on their plane, it is from The Republic of Canabeer, not the U.S. Government.  This I believe goes back to PresidentWardRobey's theory about the dream sequence in I CAN HARDLY WAIT and for what we know as fact concerning some naval scene in Abbott and Costello's IN THE NAVY.  If you're going to make the armed forces, war effort, or government look comical, make sure it's some way divorced from reality or in this case, blatantly stating it's not the United States.  Governments in general tend not to have a sense of humor about themselves, but enough of my political observations.

Anyway, for the most part this is a typical cartoonish Jules White short, and in this case I view it as a good thing.  The image of Moe in the gas inflated burning rubber floating in the air to me is one of the all time great Stooge visuals.  I don't have too much else to say about the actual comedy other than I find it to be well paced and satisfying. I'll give props to Larry's going steady line, a rare homosexual reference in a 1940's film.  Innocent by today's standards, of course.

I will show some disappointment with the use of stock footage from BOOBS IN ARMS.  The ending itself felt slapped together.  If you click on the link above to the threestooges.net page on this short, you will see a photo of Judy Malcolm and the never to be seen in a Stooge short Sethma Williams pictured with the boys and listed as being in a deleted scene.  I can't help but wonder if their scene was shot and deleted in place of the stock footage?  Who knows, I can come up with a million conspiracy theories, but I have no facts on the issue to back anything up.

8/10
I noticed that in the recycled footage from BOOBS IN ARMS (1940), Curly's "I won't do it, he don't pay my salary, it's a guy with a beard!" (A then very obvious Uncle Sam reference!) line comes perilously close to shattering the "Divorce from Reality" where any U.S. references are concerned!  Perhaps the only reason that it slipped by was due to the scene having already been previously approved by the Production Code?

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: The Tooth Will Out (1951)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on Today at 04:58:14 PM »
Great stooge episode and definitely a major rebound from the mediocre "Merry Mavericks" (the worst stooge film directed by Edward Bernds) the only problem I've had with this short is the ending was kind of abrupt but the rest of the episode was great, I loved the outdoor footage of the boys getting fired from their jobs and them running from their angry bosses, that IMO was a throwback to the 30's/early 40's Curly shorts.

Overall I give this episode a 9/10 (would've been a 10/10 if the ending wasn't abrupt).
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Phony Express (1943)
« Last post by Tony Bensley on Today at 04:40:00 PM »
This was an OK stooge short but it was never really one of my favorites, I've always felt this Stooge short marks the decline of the Del Lord directed shorts, Moe seems to be a bit more calm than usual in this short and this was the last stooge short written by Monte Collins and co-produced by Del Lord, I wish he would've gotten to write more Stooge shorts after this, there is nothing really wrong with this short but there weren't really any standout scenes.

I find it strange that this short was filmed before "Dizzy Pilots" but released after because Curly seemed more energetic and animated in "Dizzy Pilots" as he did here, maybe it was because of the material they gave Curly to work with in that short.

Overall I give this short a 6/10
It might be worth reiterating that the last few minutes of DIZZY PILOTS (1943) was lifted from BOOBS IN ARMS (1940).  Perhaps a lesser amount of original footage shot may have also factored into Curly's apparent higher energy level for the former.

Online "Stooge Goofs" for PHONY EXPRESS (1943) also notes that a bandage is visible on the back of Curly's neck during the film.  Perhaps whatever neck injury he had sustained led to his somewhat lower energy level for this particular short?

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
Nice to see a lot of love towards this short, this is definitely one of my favorite Stooge shorts, Curly is definitely full of energy in this one and I loved the scenes where Curly is bawling like a baby when he can't get the wagon door to shut, Curly getting his head sawed, the stooges nearly falling off the cliff in their car, some people say the second half of the short is better than the first half but both halves are excellent IMO, this short is also one of the rare shorts where Moe doesn't smack Larry, I also love the country outdoor scenes that you get to see in this short.

I give this short a 10/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Vagabond Loafers (1949)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on Today at 12:58:44 PM »
Very good remake/ripoff of the Stooge short "A Plumbing We Will Go", the one thing what improves among this short is we get to see more of Moe & Larry together and Moe's temper seems to be beefed up more, I've thought Kenneth MacDonald and Christine McIntyre were really good as the villains trying to steal the painting (which was a new addition to this short that we haven't seen in "Plumbing"), the only downside is Moe hardly punishes Shemp in this short which makes it feel like he was the middle stooge while Larry gets the brunt of Moe's wrath and Shemp's "Maze Of Pipes" scene wasn't as funny as Curly's.

I also thought Symona Bynoface was better in this short than Bess Flowers was in "Plumbing" as the woman who gotten splashed by the water coming out of the TV.

Overall I give this short an 8/10, I think this short overall is nearly as good as "Plumbing"
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: A Gem of a Jam (1943)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on Today at 12:53:40 PM »
This is one episode where it starts off great but bogs down some in the second half, I've thought the episode peaked during the operation scene, this is IMO a slightly underrated episode that seems to get better with each viewing, it's just not really one of the great Stooge shorts.

Overall I give this short a 7/10 due to the first half.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Phony Express (1943)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on Today at 12:46:59 PM »
This was an OK stooge short but it was never really one of my favorites, I've always felt this Stooge short marks the decline of the Del Lord directed shorts, Moe seems to be a bit more calm than usual in this short and this was the last stooge short written by Monte Collins and co-produced by Del Lord, I wish he would've gotten to write more Stooge shorts after this, there is nothing really wrong with this short but there weren't really any standout scenes.

I find it strange that this short was filmed before "Dizzy Pilots" but released after because Curly seemed more energetic and animated in "Dizzy Pilots" as he did here, maybe it was because of the material they gave Curly to work with in that short.

Overall I give this short a 6/10

Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Higher Than a Kite (1943)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on Today at 12:40:01 PM »
Great Stooge short that seems to get better with each viewing and it's not often you get to see Moe take the brunt of the abuse for a change, I especially love the scene where one of the stooges (can't remember which) slides a crowbar down Moe's mouth and it lands right on his teeth! Another classic scene is Larry as "Moronika" (I've thought Larry made a very convincing woman), a scene where Moe asks Larry what he was doing, Larry replies that he's looking for the squeak and Moe gets abused with the car lifting object at least half a dozen times, the look on Moe's face afterwards is hilarious, as for Curly I've thought he still put on a great performance in this short as he did in many of the later 1943 stooge shorts (with the exception of "Phony Express")

Overall I give this short a 10/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Squareheads of the Roundtable (1948)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 19, 2017, 11:23:26 PM »
Very good Shemp short that I've always liked, I love the scene where Moe thinks Larry is dead and Moe claims that if Larry comes back he'll never hit him again, then Larry comes out of nowhere and says "really", then Moe hits him! That scene is hilarious, not quite a classic episode but definitely a fun and enjoyable episode to watch.

I give the episode an 8.5 out of 10.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Corny Casanovas (1952)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 19, 2017, 11:13:51 PM »
When I've first seen this short I used to not care for it very much because I've hated seeing the Stooges ganging up on each other, after several years I grew to appreciate this short more and it's now one of my favorite Shemp shorts, boy it isn't often where you see Moe get abused left and right for much of the short whether if it was intentionally or unintentionally, the scene where Larry constantly hits Moe in the head with a shovel may be discomforting at first but fortunately it did grow onto me, I now see it as a good way for Larry to get back at Moe for all the abuse he has suffered from him, I also like the simple settings of this short due to the low budgets Columbia was facing at this time, Connie Cesan (sp) also does a great job as the Stooges gold digging girlfriend.

When I've first seen this short I originally gave it a 4/10 but now it's definitely a 10/10, not one of the easier Stooge shorts to get into but it's well worth the effort in the end.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10