Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Sorry.  Just a vague hunch.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Pardon My Backfire (1953)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 16, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
"Hey, Woh-ee-woh-woh, are you related to Curly Van Dyke?"

No, I've gotten the name from Curly humming in the episode "Goofs And Saddles" where he and Moe were switching each other's cards.
« Last post by Big Chief Apumtagribonitz on November 16, 2017, 11:14:03 PM »
Hey, Woh-ee-woh-woh, are you related to Curly Van Dyke?
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: If A Body Meets A Body (1945)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 16, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »
A fairly underrated Stooge short I have fond memories of as a kid, sadly this short marks the beginning of Curly's stroke period which made it a little difficult to watch, fortunately Moe & Larry give great performances and this short had a few classic moments like Moe constantly being awaken by Larry & Curly, Moe calling the Butler "Dracula", Larry screaming at the skull, while it was hard to see Curly deteriorating but Moe & Larry did make this short a lot better than what really is.

Overall I give this short a 7 out of 10.
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 16, 2017, 10:24:02 PM »
Very underrated Shemp short I've always felt gets bashed on for no reason, I've thought this short is up there with the classic Shemp shorts everyone seems to love such as "Who Done It", "Brideless Groom" and "Malice In The Palice", I loved the scene where Moe's bottom is on fire and where a wire comes out of Larry's ear! This is IMO the most violent Stooge short with Shemp (something producer/director Jules White seemed to thrive on in the 1950's).
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Mummy's Dummies (1948)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 16, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
A good but not great Shemp episode, I did enjoy the scene where the Stooges were collecting the money they've made from selling a wrecked chariot and seeing Moe collecting most of the money for himself, I find it interesting that this was the only 1940's Shemp short not to be remade in the mid 1950's, overall I give this episode a 7 out of 10.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Some More of Samoa (1941)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 16, 2017, 07:21:04 PM »
"Some More Of Samoa" was one short I've initially thought was an average Stooge short when I've first seen it, several years later I grew to appreciate the humor and the greatness of the short and it's now a near classic, I loved the bit where Moe tells Larry to put his foot in the alligator's mouth and Larry refuses and Moe tells him to take the lower half and like it or Larry literally picking up the tracks (footprints), I've thought the second half of the short features some of Larry's best performances during the Curly era.

Overall I give this short a 9/10
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Micro-Phonies (1945)
« Last post by Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80 on November 16, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »
Very good Stooge short, it's nice to see Curly rallying back in this short despite the health issues he was having at the time, Curly appears to be a lot healthier and more energetic here than he did in the previously released short "If A Body Meets A Body" was well as "A Bird In The Head" (which was filmed before this short but released after), thankfully this was the short that saved Edward Bernds's career as a director/writer and I've thought he worked better dealing with Curly's struggling health issues than Jules White did during the last dozen Curly shorts.

As for Moe he didn't seem to be as grouchy as usual and doesn't deliver much punishment to the other stooges after they leave the radio station

Overall I give this short an 8.5 out of 10.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Battling Butler (1926) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Paul Pain on November 16, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »
You know, I usually say THREE AGES is Keaton's worst silent film he directed, but I'm changing my mind and saying BATTLING BUTLER.  Now it's not a bad film, as silent Keaton never made a turkey.

Every other comedian wished their turkeys could be as "lousy."
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: Battling Butler (1926) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Paul Pain on November 16, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
BATTLING BUTLER is a fine piece on Buster's part as an actor even if the film isn't one of his best.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10