Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: What's your fav Elton John?
« Last post by metaldams on Today at 09:53:17 AM »
...and for the record, I'm a huge Alice Cooper fan.  Elton likes Alice too, and one of my favorite A.C. albums is FROM THE INSIDE, which was co written by Bernie Taupin.  Davey Johnstone played guitar with Alice around that time '78 - '79 and I have DVD footage.
« Last post by metaldams on Today at 09:35:31 AM »
« Last post by Paul Pain on Today at 06:04:43 AM »
My favorite Elton John song is "not Elton John." :P [3stooges]
Music That Sucks / Re: #35 Paul McCartney A.B. (After Beatles)
« Last post by Paul Pain on Today at 06:03:01 AM »
I love it for the same reasons people love LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS.  It's so ridiculous that it had to be induced by acid or mushrooms.
« Last post by metaldams on July 25, 2017, 11:35:15 PM »
Glad to know I'm not the only who likes Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert.

I enjoy it too.  Lots of different moods and changes in one song that go well together, like a mini side two of ABBEY ROAD packed into one song.  RAM is really a good album, it's grown on me over the years.
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on July 25, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »
Seeing as how I'm a huge Elton John fan, I figured that I'd add my top 10 as well:
1. Madman Across The Water (the version with Mick Ronson on guitar)
2. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
3. Someone Saved My Life Tonight
4. Tiny Dancer
5. Roy Rogers
6. (Gotta Get a) Meal Ticket
7. Sick City
8. Crocodile Rock
9. I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues
10. Come Down In Time

Of course, there are a lot of other great songs, but I have to limit myself or I'd be on this thread forever.  :laugh:
Sam, the oil exec gave Buster the toupee because it was a lot better than getting scalped.  I know many on this site don't like comedy westerns, or I guess really westerns of any kind, but you gotta love this.  Not a wasted frame.
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on July 24, 2017, 06:17:02 PM »
As Paul Pain just remarked ... One song you didn't mention in your critique, metaldams, is the early McCartney tune "Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert" that I actually like, but, as you mentioned, has all the qualities of post Beatles / McCartney songs. With lyrics like, "Butter Pie ... butter pie? (the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie)"
Perhaps we should pick that song apart to learn more about the degradation of McCartney in his post Beatles life.

Glad to know I'm not the only who likes Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert.
« Last post by Giff me dat fill-em! on July 24, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
As Paul Pain just remarked ... One song you didn't mention in your critique, metaldams, is the early McCartney tune "Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert" that I actually like, but, as you mentioned, has all the qualities of post Beatles / McCartney songs. With lyrics like, "Butter Pie ... butter pie? (the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie)"
Perhaps we should pick that song apart to learn more about the degradation of McCartney in his post Beatles life.
Weekly Episode Discussions / Re: The Paleface (1922) - Buster Keaton
« Last post by Umbrella Sam on July 23, 2017, 09:43:44 PM »
While the tribe in this is somewhat representative of stereotypes from the time, I really do give Keaton credit for making it clear from the beginning that they are the ones being wronged. Remember that this was during a time in which movie Indians were often portrayed as the villains (we even saw this in Roscoe Arbuckle's OUT WEST), so I think that it is very nice to see that Keaton was willing to look from the other side's perspective. Even though they're chasing Keaton at first, we at least can understand their mistrust of him.

As for the short itself, I think that it's really good. There are lots of really good comedic bits in there. I really like Keaton joining the war dance and later on when he tries to conduct it. It's also funny how at first it seems like Keaton is running away from the tribe, but in reality he is still trying to catch bugs. Again, a good example of Keaton's ability to play with our minds. Another moment I found really funny was when Keaton captured one of the oil company members and the man suddenly gave him his toupee. I don't really understand why he did it, but it was so unexpected that I couldn't help but laugh. Once again, we also have some very thrilling chases throughout the short.

My only real complaint with this short is the love interest, mostly because she feels very forced into it. While the love interests tended not to play that important of roles in Keaton's shorts, they at least had some sort of presence throughout. This one only appears three times in the short and in as little as possible (ironic, considering that their relationship technically lasts longer than the ones in most of Keaton's shorts). I feel that they could have avoided this altogether. Regardless, I still really like this short.

9 out of 10
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10