Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shemp's Income  (Read 266 times)

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Puddinhead
    • View Profile
Shemp's Income
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • Ok, so I was looking on Shemp's Wikipedia page today and this piece of information about his return to the Three Stooges caught my eye:

"Shemp's income increased significantly over the next several years due to this career change."

Yes, I know it's Wikipedia, but this does actually make me curious as to what the financial situation actually was in this case. Does anyone know if Shemp was taking a financial loss or financial gain when he rejoined the act? Also, how did this compare to what he was making when he was under contract to Universal?

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
    • Master Stooge
    • Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    Re: Shemp's Income
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »
  • Publish
  • His income increased substantially, as discussed in detail in The Three Stooges Journal # 156 (Winter 2015), per his W-2 and 1040 tax documents on file in The Stoogeum's research archives. 

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • His income increased substantially, as discussed in detail in The Three Stooges Journal # 156 (Winter 2015), per his W-2 and 1040 tax documents on file in The Stoogeum's research archives. 

Thanks, BeAStooge. It’s interesting that he made more money working in short subjects than in features, though I assume personal appearances would have to be taken into account here as well.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
    • Master Stooge
    • Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:46:13 AM »
  • Publish
  • I assume personal appearances would have to be taken into account here as well.

Film work only, Shemp's tax records show a substantial earnings increase beginning in mid-1946 and in 1947, vs. 1943 - 1945.  The Journal article presents the numbers by studio for each year.

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
  • Publish
  • Film work only, Shemp's tax records show a substantial earnings increase beginning in mid-1946 and in 1947, vs. 1943 - 1945.  The Journal article presents the numbers by studio for each year.

Ah, OK. Thanks again BeAStooge.

Offline Seamus

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Film work only, Shemp's tax records show a substantial earnings increase beginning in mid-1946 and in 1947, vs. 1943 - 1945.  The Journal article presents the numbers by studio for each year.

That is interesting.  I wonder what the numbers looked like for the later Shemp years, when the boys were being utilized less and less in favor of recycled material.

By coincidence, I recently came across this blog post about Shemp's two residences in the '40s and '50s:

http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-toluca-lake-homes-of-shemp-howard.html

In the '40s he moved into a very nice looking pad on Placidia Avenue, but at the time of his death he and his wife were living in a much more modest apartment building (both are pictured in blog post, and you can Google Map the Placidia house for a closer look).  It got me wondering if Shemp's move to more modest quarters was driven by a shrinking Stooges income.

Facebook Comments