Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2017 MLB Thread  (Read 510 times)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
  • Sugar Daddy in waiting
    • View Profile
2017 MLB Thread
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • Let's start this bad boy.  I'll be away all weekend in some town called Cooperstown. Yippy skippy!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    Re: 2017 MLB Thread
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:54:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cubs/Red Sox World Series this year--that's what most people will be clamoring for. The question I might have is, are the Cubs still a great ratings draw now that the "Curse" is over?

???
    Now you ask me if I believe a man can become a wolf. Well, if you mean can he take on the physical characteristics of an animal, no, it's fantastic. However, I do believe that most anything can happen to a man in his own mind.

Offline JazzBill

• Knothead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Cubs/Red Sox World Series this year--that's what most people will be clamoring for. The question I might have is, are the Cubs still a great ratings draw now that the "Curse" is over?

???
    They will be in Chicago.
    "When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »
  • Publish

???

I really think Boston has a lot of question marks barely being addressed, namely the questionable status of David Price, the bullpen, how a line up without Ortiz will function, and whether Pablo Sandoval can last a season.  Boston will be a good team, but I'm not automatically giving them the division the way others are.

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
  • Publish
  • Predictions:

1.  The Cubs will win the World Series, because whenever they have done so, it has been in consecutive years.  So after this year, they will have to wait until 2125.

2.  The Yankees and Cardinals will buy their way into the post-season.

3.  The Phillies will still suck.

4.  The Phillies will continue to still suck.

5.  The Red Sox will miss the playoffs by one game because of a mental breakdown by their first-base coach.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 03:19:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • There always seems to be that question of "health"--as in, can the Mets starters stay healthy? And do the Metropolitans have a lineup to back up that great starting pitching?

Can't wait for Opening Day, Sunday and Monday...   [cool]
    Now you ask me if I believe a man can become a wolf. Well, if you mean can he take on the physical characteristics of an animal, no, it's fantastic. However, I do believe that most anything can happen to a man in his own mind.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 01:54:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well, several months later, a lot of shit is going down. The Dodgers have gone apeshit crazy apparently trying to spend their way to the World Series (again). Maybe it will pay off this time....

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • Can't believe there hasn't been any baseball discussion, thanks for reviving this.

Boston just may have the division, a 5 game lead with 39 to go, but if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's never count out the New York "bridge year" Yankees.  Bridge year my ass, I've been waiting 25 years for these guys to have a losing season and it just won't happen.  Devers and Nunez have lifted Boston from OK to great.

The Dodgers are unbelievable, and that's WITH injuries.  We'll see what happens.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
    • Knothead
    • The heartthrob of millions!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »
  • Publish
  • We've seen the Red Sox throw away bigger leads with fewer games left.

Everyone's fawning over the Dodgers, but come October we're getting treated to the standard Clayton Kersh!+ that shows up every October.  The 2001 Mariners seemed invincible too, and they won the World Series were the biggest playoff disappointment possibly of all-time.
    #1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • We've seen the Red Sox throw away bigger leads with fewer games left.

Everyone's fawning over the Dodgers, but come October we're getting treated to the standard Clayton Kersh!+ that shows up every October.  The 2001 Mariners seemed invincible too, and they won the World Series were the biggest playoff disappointment possibly of all-time.

When Boston blew their huge wild card lead in 2011 to Tampa Bay, I predicted it was going to happen a couple of weeks in advance when Boston had a 6.5 game lead.  A co-worker I told it to couldn't believe I was right and thought I was crazy when I made the prediction, but I could tell that team had no heart, and Boston had seven games left with Tampa Bay, who I knew they couldn't beat one on one.  Sure enough, Tampa Bay won six of seven.  It's possible Boston might lose the division only because this Yankee team won't die, but I can tell you the 2017 version has more heart than that 2011 team and I like their chances more of not blowing the division. I'm not yet predicting a World Series win, however.

Crazy couple of non no hitter days.  Yesterday, Doug Fister gives up a home run first batter and then essentially throws a no-hitter after the fact, throwing a one hit nine inning complete game win.  Today, Rich Hill loses a no hitter and the game in the tenth inning.  The latter is heartbreaking.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • With apologies to Lefty, the Phillies are the first team officially eliminated.  29 teams left.

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »
  • Publish
  • With apologies to Lefty, the Phillies are the first team officially eliminated.  29 teams left.

It certainly took them long enough!  Now it's time for the main goal -- get the first overall draft pick next year (which they will probably screw up anyway, either with the choice itself or letting the Giants and White Sox overtake -- or undertake -- them in the overall standings).

Offline Tony Bensley

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 07:28:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Admittedly, I haven't been following the MLB standings as closely this year, as I've had other distractions.

Of course, the Toronto Blue Jays have dropped out of sight this year, which given the off season hits they took, came as no surprise!

As metaladams mentioned in a previous post, the Yankees STILL refuse to die, and are currently just 3 back of Boston.  Again, no real surprise given their history!

I can't let Cleveland's 22 consecutive wins go without mention, so I've mentioned it! ;)

Speaking of Cleveland, could there be another Indians Vs. Cubs World Series match up in the offing?  The Chicago Nats were pretty sluggish in the first half, but in the second half seem to be getting the victories when they need them, at present.  The formerly on fire LA Dodgers have been pretty cold, as of late.  Or will the Houston Astros finally win a World Series?  Could Minnesota, Arizona, or the Milwaukee Brew Crew pull an 11th hour surprise upset in gaining a World Series Berth? Will the Washington Nats FINALLY win a postseason series?

For this, and other late MLB season/post season developments, stay tuned!  ;D

CHEERS!  [pie]

Facebook Comments