Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Come Clean (1931) - Laurel and Hardy  (Read 746 times)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
  • Sugar Daddy in waiting
    • View Profile
Come Clean (1931) - Laurel and Hardy
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_138_Come-Clean
    http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/comeclean.html
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021755/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x268c5h_stan-laurel-oliver-hardy-1931-v-o-come-clean_shortfilms

Watch COME CLEAN in the link above

COME CLEAN, along with ANY OLD PORT, are the last two Laurel and Hardy films I saw, never having any history until the big DVD set finally came out.  My history with this one is limited, but overall, it's a film that leaves very little impression on me.  Nothing too terrible, pleasant viewing, but one of those weeks where I'm not very opinionated.  I'll try anyway.

The first five minutes are the best.  The Hardys trying to evade the Laurels make great viewing.  The look on Gertrude Astor's face when she sees Stan through the peek door is priceless, as is the way the two wives talk to each other as if they're old friends minutes after they talk behind each other's backs how they don't want to be in the same company.  Two faced women.  My favorite bit, though, is the note Stan writes, making his signature below the paper and onto the door itself!

The ice cream scene with Charlie Hall is also pleasant, Stan failing to order from the flavors given to him as options, only to end up getting chocolate in the end, one of the flavors initially not available.  The Mae Busch stuff just seems unbelievable.  Stan and Ollie get way too out of sorts over her threats they can easily explain away, and the situation just lacks humor to me.  I have to believe the whole suicide angle, and even the similar scenery, was inspired by Charlie Chaplin's CITY LIGHTS.  Oh, and the ending gag with Stan going down the bath tub pipe is too cartoonish for my tastes.

Just a short I can't get really fired up about either way, sometimes this happens.

7/10

Offline Big Chief Apumtagribonitz

• Numbskull
      • View Profile
    Re: Come Clean (1931) - Laurel and Hardy
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • This is actually one of my faves.  I agree that there's too much sturm und drang ( how about that, Dr Hugo? ) with Mae Busch, but the elevator door scenes are absolutely classic L&H, they border on ballet, the ice cream parlor scene is wonderful, with a perfect punch line, and Stan going down the drain at the end is one time that one of Laurel's gruesome endings is an actual laugh.  Stan is so ungodly stupid throughout this whole thing that he's lucky he just gets drained, rather than the full-body swirlie he deserves.  Granted that's only three minutes out of eighteen, but there's nothing wrong with the rest of it at all, if you can get past the wallpaper.  Good stuff, and three minutes of 24K L&H gold.  I'll watch this one anytime.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
    • Knothead
    • The heartthrob of millions!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • This was such crap I had to skip over parts of it.  What a lousy plot after the ice cream bit.

4/10
    #1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »
  • Publish
  • This one is a bit of a mixed bag for me. There are some moments that are too slow, but overall the short is still decent. The opening comes across as a weaker version of the opening of SHOULD MARRIED MEN GO HOME? and unlike that short, this doesn’t have the shot of Hardy trying to jump over the fence. Gertrude Astor seems like one of the weaker Mrs. Hardy’s; I never really feel like she ever gives much outside of mild frustration. Linda Loredo also makes her only appearance in an English Laurel and Hardy film and does fairly well as Mrs. Laurel, though she’s a bit more limited than usual in what she’s allowed to do.

The ice cream bit is pretty good, helped by the increasing frustration of both Hardy and Charlie Hall. I do have to agree, though, that the whole portion of the story involving Mae Busch was pretty annoying. This could have easily been explained and Hardy even tries to at first, but chickens out for some reason. The whole suicide portion just feels too real; Busch’s more dramatic acting here is way too out of place for what’s supposed to just be a simple two-reel comedy. Also, we never really get an idea of what exactly Mae Busch did to warrant her arrest. Oh, and her screaming gets really annoying.

Still, even after Busch arrives, I do think there are some comedic portions that work. I do like Laurel and Hardy trying to drown out the music and the energy throughout the last few minutes does really come through very well. The ending is alright, though I personally prefer John Lennon’s version in A HARD DAY’S NIGHT (“torpedoed again, eh?” [pie]).

A decent, but flawed efffort.

7 out of 10