Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brideless Groom (1947)  (Read 6795 times)

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Brideless Groom (1947)
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
  • Publish
  • The phone booth scene, with that "unidentified fat woman in hallway" seeing Shemp and slapping Larry, well, to that I say, "Don't be so particular, Roseanne!" 

Today would have been the 95th birthday of Big Bertha Priestley (Beastly?), the Roseanne lookalike.  According to imdb.com, this was her 12th of 13th roles (large roles -- or rolls -- at that).  RIP, BP.

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 10:29:26 AM »
  • Publish
  • Today would have been the 95th birthday of Big Bertha Priestley (Beastly?), the Roseanne lookalike.  According to imdb.com, this was her 12th of 13th roles (large roles -- or rolls -- at that).  RIP, BP.
    Hmm, I never thought she looked like Roseanne, or was all that heavy (like some other Stooge actresses, anyway). I always thought she was just meant to look different and random.

At any rate, I notice that she was "unidentified" on the site until very recently. How did that change?
    "Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

Many would rather believe a lie because truth demands a response.

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: June 04, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • Hmm, I never thought she looked like Roseanne, or was all that heavy (like some other Stooge actresses, anyway). I always thought she was just meant to look different and random.

At any rate, I notice that she was "unidentified" on the site until very recently. How did that change?

1.  Roseanne is the first person I think of when I see Big Bertha.  Maybe that hat brought to mind Roseanne's hairstyle.  And neither one would ever be confused with Twiggy.

2.  Maybe a relative of hers provided the information?

Offline MrsMorganMorgan

• Applehead
    • I used to do toe work until I broke both ankles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »
  • Publish
  • I understand this short, due to its public domain status, was shown on a local Boston station every Saturday for 18 years. If I had lived in Boston I would have saddled up at the TV every weekend for this. Yes, perfection of the highest degree. Moe smashing Shemp's face into the piano wires. Larry visibly dropping the ring that Shemp then finds. "Wait wait wait wait wait wait....we ain't getting no place fast. GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!" "How ya  doing in there?" {{punch punch}} "Listen to those kisses...." then Moe smacks Larry when the busboy sees them kissing. No one has ever looked so good in black satin as our goddess of the Stooges. But yes, it's a little creepy that she's so all over her cousin....who she's meeting at a hotel, mind you. My favorite part of her ass-kicking of Shemp is she almost seems to lose her mojo and then ramps back up with, "Don't you dare strike me!" She is the awesomest. And I must say, if Shemp asked me to marry him while wearing that awesome three-piece with tails I'd say yes!!

The wedding scene....that mean one, you know, "Okay Toots let 'er rip!!" That one. ANY day of the week I would wear that dress she's wearing; yes, even the belt. Even the hat, and I don't have good hat hair. But it's the shoes; the black shoes with the high ankle strap that I would completely die for. Every time we get to the ankle-kicking melee I go crazy for those shoes. I am not fond of any other outfits; most are pretty ugly.

Okay; and the end....does anyone else flash on the redone cut-in of Moe saying Uncle Caleb didn't die and Shemp didn't inherit any money....ugh. Sometimes Columbia really sucked.
    You hear that? The old lady's a crook. Let's give her the razzle-dazzle!

Offline Desmond Of The Outer Sanctorum

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 08:47:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • if Shemp asked me to marry him while wearing that awesome three-piece with tails I'd say yes!!
    "When Shemp pours on the charm, no dame can resist him!"
    "Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

Many would rather believe a lie because truth demands a response.

Offline titmouse

• Porcupine
    • SHEMP FOR PRESIDENT IN 2016
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 04:33:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • I love Dee Green and all her facial contortions in her scenes. dimples etc.
    "hey somebodys roasting a ham"

Offline vomit

• Puddinhead
    • Shemp RULES!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 03:08:38 PM »
  • Publish
  • I always thought Moe swore in this one....does he not say, "Get the f*** off me!" at the 5:15 mark?

In any event, this one is one of THE best if not THE BEST.  Of all Stooge shorts, bar none.  This and Malice in the Palace are the high points for me.
    Specto Caelum!

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »
  • Publish
  • I always thought Moe swore in this one....does he not say, "Get the f*** off me!" at the 5:15 mark?

It sure does sound like Moe said that!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: February 26, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • It sure does sound like Moe said that!

Agreed!

Offline JWF

• Grapehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: February 26, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »
  • Publish

In any event, this one is one of THE best if not THE BEST.  Of all Stooge shorts, bar none.  This and Malice in the Palace are the high points for me.

I think he's saying "get this book of me.." as the phone book lands on his head.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
  • Publish
  • Yeah, I always heard it as Moe saying "Get the book off of me here."
    Now you ask me if I believe a man can become a wolf. Well, if you mean can he take on the physical characteristics of an animal, no, it's fantastic. However, I do believe that most anything can happen to a man in his own mind.