Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Three Stooges New Epic Mini-Series Hey Moe! Hey Dad! DVD Set  (Read 12151 times)

Offline Paul Allen

• Chucklehead
    • View Profile
Re: The Three Stooges New Epic Mini-Series Hey Moe! Hey Dad! DVD Set
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »
  • Publish
  • And now last I checked, Amazon is down to $15.
    Amazon must have sold out of their first batch at the higher price of $35.
    At their new, lower price of $14.99 --   
    Delivery: "Back-ordered. Due in stock June 8 -- order now to reserve yours"

>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00T5DYV6M/ref=sr_1_21_twi_1_dvd_olp?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1433476549&sr=1-21&keywords=three+stooges 

Offline Mark The Shark

• Beetlebrain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: June 10, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • On the second disc, towards the end of episode 5 ("Good Night And Good Nyuk") -- about 45 minutes in -- there is a brief clip of what looks like a color home movie shot on the set of Three Little Pirates. Moe and Curly are in costume with Moe's wife, Helen (at least I think it's her) -- is that Shemp walking around from behind them? (The whole thing is just a few seconds long.) I guess that would make sense, seeing how he was working at Columbia doing his own shorts at the time.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
    • Master Stooge
    • Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: June 10, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »
  • Publish
  • On the second disc, towards the end of episode 5 ("Good Night And Good Nyuk") -- about 45 minutes in -- there is a brief clip of what looks like a color home movie shot on the set of Three Little Pirates. Moe and Curly are in costume with Moe's wife, Helen (at least I think it's her) -- is that Shemp walking around from behind them? (The whole thing is just a few seconds long.) I guess that would make sense, seeing how he was working at Columbia doing his own shorts at the time.

Yes, that's Shemp.  He was on a nearby soundstage working on BLONDIE KNOWS BEST (1946) the week that THREE LITTLE PIRATES (1946) was in production.

Offline Paul Allen

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: August 09, 2015, 03:52:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • It's hard to believe that you fine Stooges fans haven't had more to say about "Hey Moe! Hey Dad!"
    I just finished watching Disc 1, and what a treat it is! Paul Howard is very thorough and entertaining with his detailed delivery.

The only mistake I noticed was in Chapter 3. As Moe is speaking during an interview (off camera), the caption at the bottom of the screen states - Moe Howard WERS Interview 1980's. Well, as we all know Moe passed away on May 4, 1975, so the interview was obviously done before the 1980's. Based on the strong sound of Moe's voice, I'm guessing that it was from an interview in the 1960's... or I suppose it's possible that it could've been an excerpt taken from a radio show in the 1980's where they played a portion of an interview done a couple of decades earlier.
     [pie]

I'm getting ready to dig into Disc 2 right now!!

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »
  • Publish
  • I noticed that, too.  I take things like that with a grain of salt.  I just try to enjoy the fact that we have a 9 hour mini-series dedicated to the greatest comedy team of all time.  I couldn't really say much, since I've basically been overwhelmed by the thing.  It's such a huge thing!  I really think this series should air on PBS sometime.  I don't know what it would take for that to happen, but that would be the ultimate tribute.  Maybe as a part of their "American Masters" series.

Offline BeatleShemp

• Bonehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: December 20, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
  • Publish
  • I really enjoyed this DVD set. Loved all of the old behind the scenes home movies.

Offline CurlyFan1934

• Applehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: July 08, 2016, 08:22:02 AM »
  • Publish
  • When I got this a year ago, I watched basically Disc 1 and that was it. I just didn't have time to watch the rest of it. But a few weeks ago, I finally got around to watching Discs 2 and 3. Let me just say, the documentary as a whole was fantastic. I highly recommend it to any Stooge fan. It is very detailed, and Paul Howard does an excellent job as narrator. It includes some footage from The Three Stooges fan conventions, and never-before-seen footage taken from the Columbia shorts' sets. It is much better than some of the Stooge documentaries that rely on public domain footage as the base of the documentary. This documentary has access to all Stooge films, which improves it. There are also interviews cut in between Paul Howard's hosting featuring Whoopi Goldberg, Billy West, Leonard Maltin, The Phantom of the Movies, Joan Howard Maurer, Don Lamond, and other family members of the Stooges and longtime fans. This documentary is definitely worth any Stooge fan's time.

Offline JWF

• Grapehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: September 01, 2016, 07:51:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • This series has been playing on the Decades channel for those who have that on their cable systems.

Very interesting stuff.   As per usual, Ted Healy comes off pretty poorly.  Interesting that there is no sugar coating of Curly's issues, and how it was pretty much his own lifestyle choices that contributed to his untimely demise.

Offline WhyYou

• Porcupine
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: September 04, 2016, 09:28:04 AM »
  • Publish
  • I saw this on the Decades channel.Surprisingly,was actually pretty good.Got a little bit more information on the boys,and was a bit of footage of the Stooges that I had never seen.To anyone planning on watching,would recommend skipping thru the opening song,cause it really sucks.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: March 16, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • Late to the party as usual, but I finally got around to buying this set & was really impressed. Definitely the best documentary on the boys anyone has ever put together--well worth the money in my book. Got it off ebay for about 22 bucks--don't know it that's considered a bargain, but again, a very well made piece.

And yes, Paul really gives Ted Healy the business.
    Now you ask me if I believe a man can become a wolf. Well, if you mean can he take on the physical characteristics of an animal, no, it's fantastic. However, I do believe that most anything can happen to a man in his own mind.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
    • Master Stooge
    • Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: March 17, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »
  • Publish
  • Paul really gives Ted Healy the business.

As the narrator.

Paul did not script the documentary, it was done by his producing partner Frank Basile.  Paul brought the concept and family angle to the project, and by his own admission, spent decades keeping his distance from his father's career and knows very little about Ted Healy.  He relied on Frank to tell the "Three Stooges story."  Sadly, Basile bought into many of the negative, untrue legends and myths about Healy.  He notably utilized tales concocted by G. P. Skratz in "Larry, the Stooge in the Middle." 

That chapter is a black eye in what otherwise is a well-done production.

Offline Kopfy2013

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: March 17, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »
  • Publish

•  Sadly, Basile bought into many of the negative, untrue legends and myths about Healy.  He notably utilized tales concocted by G. P. Skratz in "Larry, the Stooge in the Middle." 

Be a Stooge:  What are your thoughts on the Biography on Healy finished last year?
    Niagara Falls

Facebook Comments