Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Battle of the Century (1927) - Laurel and Hardy  (Read 3391 times)

Offline CurlyFan1934

• Applehead
    • View Profile
Re: The Battle of the Century (1927) - Laurel and Hardy
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 03:49:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Hi CurlyFan1934!

Frankly, I'm surprised that nobody connected with the Sons Of The Desert have had this done, as it's my understanding the 16mm option is far more doable rights wise.  The only possibility I can readily think of is the asking price may be too high, but who knows?

In any event, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment, along with anyone other attendees who may have had high hopes of viewing the complete Reel 2.  At this stage, there should be no good reason this shouldn't be accessible to Sons of The Desert meetings, yet sadly, this seems to be the case!  Furthermore, based on what I've read regarding ownership of the Film itself vs who has the Home Video release rights, I'm even less optimistic this will see DVD / Blu-ray / Digital Download release any time soon, if ever, such is the sad state of getting never before released versions of Hal Roach Films to Home Video today!  Just check out Dave Lord Heath's Another Nice Forum page under my heading for The Battle Of The Century quagmire, and you'll get a better idea of the extremely frustrating ridiculousness of the situation!  It's no wonder Richard W. Bann doesn't deal with this crap anymore!  After everything he had to deal with in getting LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION titles released in the U.S, I think he simply decided he had enough, at least that's the impression I got!  Believe me, I would LOVE to be WRONG about all of this!

Sorry to unload like this, but this is my current take regarding the above.  Your views might differ.

Kind Regards,

Tony

To my understanding, I think other Sons of the Desert tents have been able to view The Battle of the Century, namely the Hollywood Party tent in California. They had a "Battle of the Century" night where they celebrated. It's strange that the Night Owls tent can't access the print as they could. But then again the asking price may have been high and maybe California could've been able to pay for it, while the good ol' Night Owls tent couldn't? I don't know. It's confusing me.

Isn't there still a Hal Roach Studios somewhere out there? Like, isn't there a Hal Roach Studios that sells DVDs? Because if there was, this whole legal rights thing would be put to a end because Hal Roach Studios would probably have to be the sole owner of the film itself because after all they did make it. Unless Hal Roach Studios made some sort of business acquisition with a company that I'm not aware of, they still exist.

At this point, I'll settle for a VHS of Reel 2 of Century. Just slap on Big Business or Two Tars or You're Darn' Tooting or whichever L&H silent makes people happy, and boom, you've got an instant DVD release. About your comment on Bann, he shouldn't deal with this crap. He worked way too hard to get the Essential Collection released here in the U.S., and that collection is freaking awesome. I don't care what anybody says.

Now, listen, at the end of the day, this is 5 minutes of footage. That may sound strange to non L&H fans that we are so upset over 5 minutes of footage. But, it's not just 5 minutes of footage. It's 5 minutes of cinematic gold. The guy that found the footage should just upload the reel on YouTube, for crying out loud. Of course, it'll get taken down after a few days, but, hey, that's better than nothing!

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 05:42:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • Tony, I hear ya!

All this talk makes me think how lucky Stooge fans are.  No major footage lost, all the films beautifully restored and easily available, always have been.  The Stooge fan in me is fortunately spoiled, and the few crumbs hard to come by are likely cameo footnotes.

Laurel and Hardy?  Prints have varying quality, a major early film like HATS OFF is lost (imagine not having MEN IN BLACK), this whole fiasco with the BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, and it took years for the films to be properly released.

Buster Keaton has missing footage in THE FROZEN NORTH and I've always wondered if I'll ever see a version of THE BOAT where some of the frames aren't literally deteriorating. 

If any Stooge fan is reading this who is not into many other older comedians we are talking about, realize you are truly blessed.

Offline Tony Bensley

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
  • Publish
  • Tony, I hear ya!

All this talk makes me think how lucky Stooge fans are.  No major footage lost, all the films beautifully restored and easily available, always have been.  The Stooge fan in me is fortunately spoiled, and the few crumbs hard to come by are likely cameo footnotes.

Laurel and Hardy?  Prints have varying quality, a major early film like HATS OFF is lost (imagine not having MEN IN BLACK), this whole fiasco with the BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, and it took years for the films to be properly released.

Buster Keaton has missing footage in THE FROZEN NORTH and I've always wondered if I'll ever see a version of THE BOAT where some of the frames aren't literally deteriorating. 

If any Stooge fan is reading this who is not into many other older comedians we are talking about, realize you are truly blessed.
    I for one, am glad all of the Stooges Starring / Co-starring vehicles are extant!

if only every newly found Film, such as HELLO POP! (1933), was released in a reasonably timely fashion (IE. Under 12 months!), instead of the real life lunacy surrounding Laurel & Hardy / Hal Roach found footage!  No matter how justified, the seemingly continuous tug of war between "X company (Who has the Home Video rights!) try to claim actual Film ownership" vs "But I OWN the Film (Who can only release on non Home Video viable 16mm Film Stock!) and you can't have it!" type nonsense just leaves me cold!  Can't these people EVER get their $#!? together and release this new found footage in a reasonably timely fashion?

It's been 15 months and counting, and apparently STILL not even a 16mm print struck of THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) Complete Reel 2, let alone ANY kind of Home Video release on the Horizon ANYWHERE!

Oh, and regarding the status of certain "lost" Hal Roach Films, don't take that to the bank, either!  There's at least ONE out there, and that's from a source I consider most reliable!  Unfortunately, to get this title, he's had to agree to keeping the utmost secrecy!  No screenshots, no reviews, NOTHING!

Let me make myself clear in stating that if a Film is rightly considered lost, it's lost.  However, what I can't stand are people who knowingly hold prints of Films that otherwise don't "exist" and either refuse to release them, or hold them at such a high ransom, NOBODY can afford to buy them!  What really bothers me though, is when these people pass on, their "Rare Treasures" are liable to disappear forever, for real!  :(

Offline CurlyFan1934

• Applehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
  • Publish
  • I for one, am glad all of the Stooges Starring / Co-starring vehicles are extant!

if only every newly found Film, such as HELLO POP! (1933), was released in a reasonably timely fashion (IE. Under 12 months!), instead of the real life lunacy surrounding Laurel & Hardy / Hal Roach found footage!  No matter how justified, the seemingly continuous tug of war between "X company (Who has the Home Video rights!) try to claim actual Film ownership" vs "But I OWN the Film (Who can only release on non Home Video viable 16mm Film Stock!) and you can't have it!" type nonsense just leaves me cold!  Can't these people EVER get their $#!? together and release this new found footage in a reasonably timely fashion?

It's been 15 months and counting, and apparently STILL not even a 16mm print struck of THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) Complete Reel 2, let alone ANY kind of Home Video release on the Horizon ANYWHERE!

Oh, and regarding the status of certain "lost" Hal Roach Films, don't take that to the bank, either!  There's at least ONE out there, and that's from a source I consider most reliable!  Unfortunately, to get this title, he's had to agree to keeping the utmost secrecy!  No screenshots, no reviews, NOTHING!

Let me make myself clear in stating that if a Film is rightly considered lost, it's lost.  However, what I can't stand are people who knowingly hold prints of Films that otherwise don't "exist" and either refuse to release them, or hold them at such a high ransom, NOBODY can afford to buy them!  What really bothers me though, is when these people pass on, their "Rare Treasures" are liable to disappear forever, for real!  :(

I think I know you're talking about Lord Heath when you say that.  He says that it is a film for 1927 made by Hal Roach but not an Our Gang short. It can't be Hats Off, can it be?

Offline Tony Bensley

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »
  • Publish
  • I think I know you're talking about Lord Heath when you say that.  He says that it is a film for 1927 made by Hal Roach but not an Our Gang short. It can't be Hats Off, can it be?
    Dave Lord Heath literally can't say it (Which I completely understand and respect!), but I sure as heck can suspect it!

What it boils down to is what other Hal Roach Non 'Our Gang' Films from 1927 are still officially considered lost?  Understand, it IS considered ENTIRELY lost, which eliminates any Films in which one or more fragments are known to survive!

The last time I checked, HATS OFF (1927) qualifies on ALL counts!

Just for fun, I'm thinking it may be time to consult Lord Heath's newly assembled Hal Roach Film Catalogue listing for the 1927 titles, eliminating the 'Our Gang' comedies first, of course!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • Assuming HATS OFF is really out there, I imagine said person must be holding out for a king's ransom.  I wonder if this alleged person would respond to a crowd funding effort from fans to get this film off his/her hands.  I know of a certain guy who reviews Stooge films and even Laurel and Hardy and Marx Brothers films and is known as someone who likes loud music who'd contribute a nice sum, if not the entire ransom, of money to said effort if he truly believed this film existed and was salvageable.  I can't say who this alleged person is, but you can guess, of course.  [pie]

Offline CurlyFan1934

• Applehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: September 15, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • Dave Lord Heath literally can't say it (Which I completely understand and respect!), but I sure as heck can suspect it!

What it boils down to is what other Hal Roach Non 'Our Gang' Films from 1927 are still officially considered lost?  Understand, it IS considered ENTIRELY lost, which eliminates any Films in which one or more fragments are known to survive!

The last time I checked, HATS OFF (1927) qualifies on ALL counts!

Just for fun, I'm thinking it may be time to consult Lord Heath's newly assembled Hal Roach Film Catalogue listing for the 1927 titles, eliminating the 'Our Gang' comedies first, of course!

CHEERS!  [pie]
    I may try that, but not sure looking through 1,200 Hal Roach comedies is very efficient.  [pie]

Offline CurlyFan1934

• Applehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 08:15:25 PM »
  • Publish
  • Assuming HATS OFF is really out there, I imagine said person must be holding out for a king's ransom.  I wonder if this alleged person would respond to a crowd funding effort from fans to get this film off his/her hands.  I know of a certain guy who reviews Stooge films and even Laurel and Hardy and Marx Brothers films and is known as someone who likes loud music who'd contribute a nice sum, if not the entire ransom, of money to said effort if he truly believed this film existed and was salvageable.  I can't say who this alleged person is, but you can guess, of course.  [pie]
    Of course, assuming that Dave Lord Heath has HATS OFF is certainly a far-fetched theory but hey it could be possible. I can't seem to find many Hal Roach films from 1927, let alone ones that are lost, so Hats Off may be a possibility.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm 100% serious with my post, by the way, concerning a crowd funding effort, and yes, I'd contribute, nicely, if I truly believed this film could be saved.  I'd need proof, of course.

Offline Big Chief Apumtagribonitz

• Birdbrain
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 09:40:16 PM »
  • Publish
  • There was a huge show at MOMA in NYC a couple of months ago whose centerpiece was the completely restored Battle Of The Century.  I have some friends who played in the orchestra.  This was a very big deal.  Now, what print, prints, stills, whatever, did they use for that?

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Applehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well, seeing as how the full short is still not available, I'm going to have to review the incomplete print. Regarding the boxing match, it is really well done. What I love about it is just how angry the referee gets with Laurel. Laurel's inability to stand in a neutral corner results in them basically fighting it out themselves, and when Laurel gets knocked out, the referee begins counting by 2's. A similar gag would appear in Abbott and Costello's BUCK PRIVATES, although I'll admit I prefer the referee's response in that ("I don't like those numbers; they're odd").

From what I can see of the pie fight, it looks like it was also great as well. This is harder to judge, considering that it's more fragmented, but it seems to build up very well and I enjoy what is available to watch. If the rest of the short is as good as what I have seen so far, then I cannot wait for the day that they (hopefully) make the entire short available.

Judging from what exists, I'd give it a 10 out of 10