Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three Little Beers (1935)  (Read 8013 times)

Offline Kopfy2013

• Puddinhead
    • View Profile
Re: Three Little Beers (1935)
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • The August/September issue of Fore Magazine (the official magazine of the Southern California Golf Association) has an article on Rancho Park Golf Course.  Many of the points in the article were on this site (once a private club, course taken over by government, then bought back by the city of LA) but what wasn't - or I forgot - was that a wild fire destroyed alot of the course in 1944.

There is an aerial view picture showing the course in 1956... they pretty much gutted the links and started over. However, most of the buildings (clubhouse etc. are still the originals).

What was not mentioned was that the course was used by the Stooges in one of their shorts.  Off went an email to the editor of the magazine!

All I can say is 'mmmmmm  that's a victim of soicumstance!"

[3stooges]
    Niagara Falls

Offline Larrys#1

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »
  • Publish
  • My #1 favorite!! Love the scene where Curly denies stealing the guy's golf ball and once he gets bonked on the head by Moe, he does woo woo and drops a plethora of golf balls from his clothes. And then Moe swings at all those golf balls and the balls start knocking everyone unconscious.

Curly doing his laundry and chopping the tree was hilarious. And boy oh boy, what chaos the stooges caused when all the beer barrels fell out of their truck!!

10/10

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
    • Knothead
    • The heartthrob of millions!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 04:27:28 AM »
  • Publish
  • Where to start with this one?  It has it ALL.  Bud Jamison gets abused with the beer barrels.  Press, press, pull.  Curly uses the golf ball sink for his clothes.  Larry chops down a tree, and Moe divots the joint up.  Guaranteed laugh when you sit with this one.
    #1 fire kibitzer

Offline Larry43719

• Porcupine
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »
  • Publish
  • Three Little Beers have always been one of my favorite shorts. I rate this episode on my top 10 list. I am 64 yrs old and the Three Stooges have always been my favorite comedy team. The press, press, pull scene is priceless.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
    • Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
  • Publish
  • "4th golfer on 18th" is Harry Keatan* again, in his second of three appearances in this short (first, he says "Pardon me" as he and Charles Dorety move between the Stooges and out of the locker room, leading to the Stooges thieving the golf clothes; third is the already credited "It's up in the tree!").

I believe "1st cop at golf course" (one next to Harry Semels, I guess?) is Sam Lufkin?

* Additionally, he was born in Suwa?ki, Poland, per his WWII draft registration card, and his real name was Ark Keatan: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16370-95149-40?cc=1861144
    "With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
    • Master Stooge
    • Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 08:56:55 PM »
  • Publish
  • * Additionally, he was born in Suwa?ki, Poland, per his WWII draft registration card, and his real name was Ark Keatan: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16370-95149-40?cc=1861144

The info reflects the biography compiled by Frank Reighter for the Three Stooges Journal files and Stoogeum archives; done in association with Harry Keatan's daughter and her family's documents.  If you have something different, share it with Frank.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
    • Master Stooge
    • Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 10, 2015, 09:16:11 PM »
  • Publish
  • "4th golfer on 18th" is Harry Keatan* again, in his second of three appearances in this short (first, he says "Pardon me" as he and Charles Dorety move between the Stooges and out of the locker room, leading to the Stooges thieving the golf clothes; third is the already credited "It's up in the tree!").

Thanks on the '4th golfer.'  The ID was made months ago when we ID'ed Keatan, but that "unidentified" bit was overlooked in the updates.

Dorety and Keatan both appear a few times... they're the same character at different points in the story, so only receive 1 cast credit each... I use the one that best describes their most prominent contribution in the short.

I believe "1st cop at golf course" (one next to Harry Semels, I guess?) is Sam Lufkin?

Don't agree.  Too tall.  Face is off too.

Offline GreenCanaries

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 10, 2015, 09:35:30 PM »
  • Publish
  • Don't agree.  Too tall.  Face is off too.

Touché. It looked like him to me when I first rewatched the short yesterday anyway... oh well...

Offline IchabodSlipp

• Grapehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • Dad and I both love this short! Dad recorded this off of local TV in Winston Salem on one of his first VHS tapes and he told me he used to watch it over and over, and memorized almost every line. I love the dialogue when the Stooges are trying to fit in at the club...

Man 1: I shot a Birdie yesterday! Man 2: Ya did, that's great! (Moe looks to Curly) Moe: (to Curly) Well, Jasper, what did you shoot yesterday? Curly: (pretending to throw imaginary dice) I shot a 7, but they wouldn't give me the money! Moe: You did? Curly: "Yeah! (Moe shrugs at Larry, then slaps Curly) Larry: Ya know, I shot a.. Moe: (Moe interrupts and grabs Larry by the hair) Yeah. Go grab a bag of bats, killer!

Offline GreenCanaries

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    Re: Three Little Beers (1935) - LUFKIN counterargument
    « Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 08:29:10 PM »
  • Publish
  • Don't agree.  Too tall.  Face is off too.
    Rewatched this again and I have to maintain my original position. When Semels isn't contorting his body in his exaggerated portrayal, I'd say he and the cop he's next to are roughly the same height... as were Semels and Lufkin in real life. Various directories and almanacs have Semels at 5'9", and his WWII draft registration card "shrinks" him by a half-inch. Lufkin isn't in any of the directories, but he does have a WWII draft registration card which pinpoints his height at a mere quarter-inch short of a "full" 5'9".

Semels ---- 1917 directory -- 1918 directory -- 1929 Blue Book (part 1 | part 2) -- 1930 Blue Book -- 1931 Almanac -- 1932 Almanac -- 1937-38 Almanac -- WWII Draft Registration Card (front | back)

Lufkin's WWII draft reg. card -- front | back

Also: it may not quite resemble Lufkin in the first shot, but I definitely think it's him in the second shot when Semels points our boys out. (Inset photo is Lufkin in HORSES' COLLARS.) I also think it may be Lufkin as the unidentified studio policeman in MOVIE MANIACS (the voice definitely sounds similar in his one line -- "So did I!" -- to other instances where I've heard him speak).
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:09:26 PM by GreenCanaries »

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
    • Knothead
    • The heartthrob of millions!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: March 29, 2017, 07:42:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • Bud Jamison and Tiny Sanford are also great in their opening scene.

We wish Tiny Sanford was in this short!   [pie]
    #1 fire kibitzer

Offline MrHaroldG2000

• Porcupine
    • Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »
  • Publish
  • Stooge Goof alert:

WRONG DAY OF YEAR. The date on the entry blank showing the prize money for the golf tournament is listed as "Sunday, December 19, 1935." December 19, 1935 fell on a Thursday.
    MOE, LARRY, THE CHEESE!!!