Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Linked Events

• DVD Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection: October 25, 2011 - October 31, 2011

Author Topic: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection  (Read 33931 times)

xraffle

Re: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm bumping up this thread because a few weeks ago, I bought "Deadwood- The Complete Series" on Blu-ray because it was on sale at Best Buy for $64.99. It's a 13 disc set and is packaged in the infamous cardboard packaging, just like this L&H set. Well, I didn't have any glue issues, but some discs did have some very faint/light scratches on them. Even though Blu-rays have a scratch-resistant coating, the packaging still managed to give some light scratches on some discs. I watched the whole set in two weeks and thankfully, I didn't encounter any playback issues. But I can see why people may be upset with the packaging of this L&H set.

Even though it's very hard to permanently damage a Blu-ray, I'm a very paranoid person and ended up transferring all 13 discs to jewel cases. But unfortunately, I'll probably have to keep buying more jewel cases soon because it looks like many studios are starting to adopt to this type of packaging. "Friends- The Complete Series" and "Alfred Hitchcock- The Masterpiece Collection" are both coming out soon on Blu-ray and they both will have that cardboard packaging. Same with the "Bond 50" set as well.  Not good!

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
      • View Profile
    « Reply #151 on: June 30, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
  • Publish
  • After I buy the Three Stooges "Rare Treasures" box, I'm thinking about buying this Laurel & Hardy box set.  For those of you who have bought it, how is it?  Is it good?  Do you like it?  What's the audio/video quality?  Is it worth putting my hard-earned cash in their pocket for this set?

Offline ThumpTheShoes

• Birdbrain
    • Hot Dogs 10¢................... w/Muzzles 15¢
      • View Profile
    « Reply #152 on: June 30, 2012, 01:57:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • A couple of the shorts have a weird, squashed picture kind of look, like the image was stretched horizontally a few pixels. The shorts have the usual minor image flaws like dust, dirt, splices and contrast issues. The splice jump (that is "The" splice jump with a capital "T") is still present in Way Out West. Audio quality varies, nothing too horrible.

This set is really about as good as I would expect right now, as far as source material is concerned, until the restored versions start getting released.

Some people hate the book packaging. I love it! I also have one of the European box sets (the 21 disc collection with the silents and colorized shorts) and I like this US release most since the sound shorts are in order. It's just more convenient to me.
    A jerk with a quirk may do the work. Or, a turk with a dirk may stick a clerk! Gut gesagt?

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
      • View Profile
    « Reply #153 on: June 30, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • Thanks, Thump!  I guess this set is worth getting, then.  I heard about them restoring the old films, but I wonder how long it will take for those to come out.  So, basically, this is what they already have in the vault, just unrestored?

Offline ThumpTheShoes

• Birdbrain
    • Hot Dogs 10¢................... w/Muzzles 15¢
      • View Profile
    « Reply #154 on: June 30, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • The way I understand it, what we have in the essential set represents most of the best elements that are available. Certainly, not all. The UCLA Film & Television Archive has already announced that it will take many years to complete their restorations of these films. I think one website mentioned something about 10 years for less than a fourth of the L&H canon. Still, after seeing the newly restored Way Out West on TCM it will be so worth it!
    A jerk with a quirk may do the work. Or, a turk with a dirk may stick a clerk! Gut gesagt?

Offline archiezappa

• Numbskull
      • View Profile
    « Reply #155 on: June 30, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
  • Publish
  • Well, I'm not gonna wait that long.  I guess this is the set to get.  By then, we may be in a different format on everything.

Online falsealarms

• Bunionhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #156 on: June 30, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
  • Publish
  • Last year, this information was released about the DVD transfers:

"yes, these are newly performed conversions of 35mm fine grains. We did not rework old tape masters. We went back to Kodak Fine Grain Film. F-I-L-M.  So we did not start with video; we started with film, the kind with sprockets. Plus, the new masters derived therefrom have indeed been digitally enhanced, so that these subjects can be presented in superb Hi-Def for the first time anywhere by anyone."

And, yes, these are separate from the ongoing work UCLA is doing. That work has a LONG ways to go. These films have been mishandled throughout the past several decades. They don't look as good as the Columbia Stooge shorts, but they look better than on any prior home video release. We're lucky to have some of these films at all, like in the case of the classic short COUNTY HOSPITAL. The original no longer exists, but luckily it was re-issued in 1937 and that still exists.

You can read about what UCLA is doing: http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/support/laurel-and-hardy

Here's a good review of this set: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51170/laurel-hardy-the-essential-collection/

The information contained in the packaging is nice (good notes on each film by L&H expert Richard Bann) but the storage method sucks. It uses cardboard sleeves, but more recent pressings seem to have paper sleeves within the cardboard sleeves. Either way, you'll want to get something like this: http://www.target.com/p/memorex-standard-clear-jewel-cases-10-pk/-/A-13740847

You can get an idea of the packaging here: http://www.therefinerycreative.com/#!/home-entertainment (scroll down)

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

• Chucklehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: January 15, 2015, 03:48:58 PM »
  • Publish
  •  I've had this box set for a long time, although I've only seen about 25 of the films on here. ( Don't mean to bump up a topic, anyways, either.) In fact, as I've heard, there's commentary on a few films, and Way out West is one of their best, so I'm going to watch Way Out West+commentary tonight, and since I'm feeling great, I'm going to watch a few Stooge films! Maybe, throw in a L&H documentary, too!
    Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
    Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
    Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
    Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Facebook Comments