Soitenly
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Official Columbia Comedy Shorts Thread  (Read 20081 times)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
  • Sugar Daddy in waiting
    • View Profile
The Official Columbia Comedy Shorts Thread
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:24:53 PM »
  • Publish
  • I've decided to post all the non-Stooge Columbia shorts into one thread.  Here, you will find other comedians that worked for the same people who produced the sacred 190.  If you guys ever come across a Columbia short on youtube or elsewhere, please post it in this thread.  Rob, is it possible to give this thread a sticky? 

PS: Enjoy these while you can before the copyright police takes these away.  A few of the Columbia shorts previously posted are no longer available for viewing.

PPS: If you look real close, you may catch a little Shemp in here.   ;)

"Those are the three elements, I think, that go into being happy: Find something you love, be good at it, and have other people pat you on the back and say "good job." - George Carlin

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    LODGE NIGHT (1937) - ANDY CLYDE
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:26:27 PM »
  • Publish
  • [youtube=425,350]OUobj0V2SBg[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]VXmhbhz9V84[/youtube]

Andy Clyde - Lodge Night (1937)
    "Those are the three elements, I think, that go into being happy: Find something you love, be good at it, and have other people pat you on the back and say "good job." - George Carlin

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    THE RING AND THE BELLE (1941) - ANDY CLYDE
    « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • [youtube=425,350]FoQR-4A0GfM[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]Db5Kef3190c[/youtube]

THE RING AND THE BELLE (1941) - ANDY CLYDE

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    THE CHAMP STEPS OUT (1951) - MAX BAER AND MAXIE ROSENBLOOM
    « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »
  • Publish
  • <a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/WOXzWvYH_rQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/WOXzWvYH_rQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p7Jn6rB6KV0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/p7Jn6rB6KV0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1</a>

THE CHAMP STEPS OUT (1951) - MAX BAER AND MAXIE ROSENBLOOM

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    PARDON MY TERROR (1946) - SCHILLING AND LANE
    « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »
  • Publish
  • [youtube=425,350]IhKA67bnjT8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]l-iR8X2mPtI[/youtube]

PARDON MY TERROR (1946) - SCHILLING AND LANE

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    COLD TURKEY (1940) - HARRY LANGDON
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:37:12 PM »
  • Publish
  • [youtube=425,350]uznTf-A6GRI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]nynlHV_QHyU[/youtube]

COLD TURKEY (1940) - HARRY LANGDON

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    ONE SHIVERY NIGHT (1950) - HUGH HERBERT AND DUDLEY DICKERSON
    « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • [youtube=425,350]3qRzdv62OL8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]8k8Zb75FSsU[/youtube]

ONE SHIVERY NIGHT (1950) - HUGH HERBERT AND DUDLEY DICKERSON

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    NEW NEWS (1937) - COLLINS AND KENNEDY
    « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »
  • Publish
  • [youtube=425,350]pKpM3YsFkGE[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]kVixAor8iCs[/youtube]

NEW NEWS (1937) - COLLINS AND KENNEDY

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    Re: The Official Columbia Comedy Shorts Thread
    « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »
  • Publish
  • What I said about Shemp above?  Scratch that, copyright police.  Enjoy what you can up here while you can, and Sony, free da shorts!

Offline FineBari3

• Master Stooge
    • Knothead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
  • Publish
  • I can't wait to see these! I just need more time....
    Mar-Jean Zamperini
    "Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline 2reelers

• Applehead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 09:04:42 PM »
  • Publish
  • Glad everyone is enjoying the non-Stooge material. I'm working on having some more posted by tomorrow....Hugh and Dudley, El Brendel and a short from another of Columbia's studio-made teams, Wally Vernon and Eddie Quillan.

Offline Sadistic Stooge

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »
  • Publish
  • Your the best keep them coming :)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 09:28:06 PM »
  • Publish
  • Glad everyone is enjoying the non-Stooge material. I'm working on having some more posted by tomorrow....Hugh and Dudley, El Brendel and a short from another of Columbia's studio-made teams, Wally Vernon and Eddie Quillan.

Awesome!  I'll post them in this thread.

I especially can't wait to see Hugh and DUDLEY. 15 minutes of Dudley Dickerson is bliss.

Offline curlysdame

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 11:12:39 PM »
  • Publish
  • I can't wait to see these! I just need more time....

Me, too.  The only one I had time to watch today was "New News."  I really liked it.  I had no idea that "Crash Goes The Hash" was a re-working of that short.  The opening scene in 'Crash' is practically word-for-word, right down to the 'baggy pants' joke. Great to see so many familiar faces in a non-Stooges short: Stanley Blystone, Clara Kimball Young, Bud Jamison, Harry Semels, and of course, Monte Collins.  It was really cool to see him in a lead role.  Keep 'em coming!
    "Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    AY TANK AY GO (1936) - EL BRENDEL
    « Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »
  • Publish
  • [youtube=425,350]6_svkNiwYrQ[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]SWi_c2SSb4I[/youtube]

AY TANK AY GO (1936) - EL BRENDEL

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 08:36:39 AM »
  • Publish
  • Just posted an El Brendel short and 2Reelers has got a couple of more up that I'll post tonight.  Can't I just skip work today and watch these?  Bah!

Offline Rich Finegan

• Master Stooge
    • Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • That's Beatrice Curtis as the secretary in the opening scene of "New News" with Collins & Kennedy. Not billed, and not even listed in the cast for this short in the Columbia Shorts book.
    She's in five Three Stooges shorts:
    False Alarms
    Slippery Silks
    Back to the Woods
    Calling All Curs
    Three Sappy People
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:52:38 AM by Rich Finegan »

Offline Sadistic Stooge

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    Hugh Herbert - TALL DARK & GRUESOME (1948)
    « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
  • Publish

• <a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/93Mw8gRWDPM&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/93Mw8gRWDPM&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9FgvF3yga7E&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9FgvF3yga7E&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1</a>

Offline Sadistic Stooge

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    Wally Vernon and Eddie Quillan - NOBODY'S HOME (1955)
    « Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »
  • Publish
  • <a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/YWCCXk9Bq3o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/YWCCXk9Bq3o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/EU6Eg24C-h8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/EU6Eg24C-h8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;border=1</a>

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:09 PM »
  • Publish
  • Oh my God, did any of you guys watch that El Brendel short?  Perhaps the most unfunny comedian I've ever seen in my life! One of those comedians where I can't even tell where the jokes begin or end.  I think the joke is he speaks in a Swedish accent, kind of like that Balki guy on PERFECT STRANGERS, except El Brendel makes Bronson Pinchot seem like Buster Keaton.  Amazingly bad, you all have to watch this short for the trainwreck value alone.  To think this guy was teamed with Shemp Howard and Harry Langdon.  I wonder who carried who in those shorts?  Sheesh!  Oh, and Del Lord directed this thing, you know, a good comedy director.

Being a 1936 short, it's obvious the budget was higher than the later ones.  Interesting to see some of the same parallels you see in Stooge shorts.  Just a shame the budget had to be wasted on El Brendel.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to see this short from a historical and personal interest point of view, but as entertainment?  No. 

Oh well, the Andy Clyde's were both home runs (or at least a base clearing double), and I'm sure the Hugh Herbert/Dudley Dickerson one will be a winner.  In a few minutes, I shall see.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 11:49:34 PM »
  • Publish
  • TALL, DARK, AND GRUESOME is much better.  I'm not generally a big scare comedy fan because I think it's a one note genre.  That said, nobody, and I mean nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody - NOBODY, (and I mean nobody), hits that note better than Dudley Dickerson.  The guy's an absolute riot at this stuff.  Hugh Herbert's not that bad a comedian either.  He's got a good dry delivery that helps punctuate his scare reactions.  Good short.

Offline curlysdame

• Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 12:36:46 AM »
  • Publish
  • Oh my God, did any of you guys watch that El Brendel short?  Perhaps the most unfunny comedian I've ever seen in my life! One of those comedians where I can't even tell where the jokes begin or end.  I think the joke is he speaks in a Swedish accent... Amazingly bad, you all have to watch this short for the trainwreck value alone. 

Being a 1936 short, it's obvious the budget was higher than the later ones.  Interesting to see some of the same parallels you see in Stooge shorts.  Just a shame the budget had to be wasted on El Brendel.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to see this short from a historical and personal interest point of view, but as entertainment?  No. 

Thank god, I'm glad it's not just me!  I saw it, too.  I had never seen anything with El Brendel before, but that first scene when he's milking the cow, I thought, "Uggh, does this guy talk like this in all his films?  I don't think I can get through this."  Yeah, I agree metal; some of those lines were like, "Oh, ok, I guess that was the punchline...?"  I only sat through the whole thing because I love trainwrecks films, too. 
    "Imagine five things like us in one room??  I can't stand it!" - Curly (Time Out For Rhythm 1941)

Offline Rich Finegan

• Master Stooge
    • Puddinhead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 06:03:33 AM »
  • Publish
  • Come on now, El Brendel is not that bad!
    Not all Columbia shorts have to be fast & violent slapstick. El is a different kind of comedian. Sure, you have to get used to the accent, but remember that was how the studios wanted him to play it. He didn't really have an accent and I'm sure he would have liked to play more of his roles without it. He also had talents (such as dancing) that the studios rarely let him use in his films.
    El has a charm and a gentle style of humor that can be refreshing if given a chance.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
    • Egghead
    • Sugar Daddy in waiting
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »
  • Publish
  • Come on now, El Brendel is not that bad!
    Not all Columbia shorts have to be fast & violent slapstick. El is a different kind of comedian. Sure, you have to get used to the accent, but remember that was how the studios wanted him to play it. He didn't really have an accent and I'm sure he would have liked to play more of his roles without it. He also had talents (such as dancing) that the studios rarely let him use in his films.
    El has a charm and a gentle style of humor that can be refreshing if given a chance.

To each their own.  I'm not saying all Columbia's have to be violent slapstick - I like Charley Chase, for example.  I simply cannot see any humor in this guy. 

Offline FineBari3

• Master Stooge
    • Knothead
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
  • Publish
  • To each their own.  I'm not saying all Columbia's have to be violent slapstick - I like Charley Chase, for example.  I simply cannot see any humor in this guy. 

I'm going to get a lot of guff for this, but I just don't get Andy Clyde!  I thought AY TANK AY GO was funnier than the Andy Clyde LODGE NIGHT.  I think the Langdon COLD TURKEY is great! "Whoopee!" (when he gets drunk). I also love the part when he is running around yelling "Maniac! Maniac!"

Much like Buster, Langdon still had it up until the end! 

I think the joke is he speaks in a Swedish accent, kind of like that Balki guy on PERFECT STRANGERS, except El Brendel makes Bronson Pinchot seem like Buster Keaton. 

HAHAHAHAHA! I almost spit coffee on the screen!!!!  [spit]

There was a Simpson's episode on last season that made me laugh because everybody sounded like El Brendel!!! Here  is the synopsis from a Simpson's site:

Coming to Homerica (#LABF12 / SI-2012)    17 May 2009
    Krusty's tainted meat-free burgers are traced to bad barley in Ogdenville, destroying the city's economy and causing its citizens (most of whom are from Norwegian families) to come to Springfield; at first, Springfield welcomes them with open arms and jobs that nobody else wants to do, but when their presence becomes a burden, Springfield decides to keep them out, first with a civilian force, then with a giant wall...built by the Ogdenvillians
    Mar-Jean Zamperini
    "Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Facebook Comments