Welcome to what I hope will become a fun monthly feature here on threestooges.net I like to call "The Master Debates". The idea behind this is to allow members to show off their writing prowess, passion, and skills of persuasion in a debate style format. Here's how it will work:
1. Each month I will select a topic of interest. The topic may be Stooges related or may not be, but it will a topic of which one of two sides can be taken.
2. Anyone interested should private message me with a short (300 words or less) response explaining the stance they are taking with the issue at hand. Responses should be eloquent, well-thought out and have correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.
3. I will select two members, one to represent each side of the issue, to elaborate their stance in this forum in an attempt to convince the public (and more importantly, the judges) that they are right.
4. Once each contestant has posted their stance on the issue I will allow each contestant a "rebuttal" of their opponents stance.
5. I will select a panel of four judges once the contestants are selected. These judges and I reserve the right to ask the contestants questions pertaining to their stances should they desire, and the judges will decide who wins by casting a vote. If the judges are split I will cast the deciding vote.
6. The winner not only receives the prestigious title of Master Debater, but also a one year subscription to The Three Stooges Journal. The winner will also be invited to be a judge for the next month.
7. Any member of this website, no matter what your post count, is eligible to enter..except for myself of course.
I've had this concept percolating in my head for a few weeks now and thought it might be fun and at the very least an interesting experiment.
The inaugural topic for the month of January is.....
Who was the better Stooge: Joe Besser or Joe Derita?
For example, if you wish to enter and think Derita was the better Stooge, you would send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE less than 300 words on why Curly-Joe was better. If I choose you to represent Derita, you would then elaborate on what you sent me and make your case on this board while your opponent does the same for Besser.
For the time being I am setting a date of January 5, 2009 for when the stances should be ready for public consumption (I'm ironing out the bugs as we go along here), so...I'm thinking between now and the 27th I'll be taking requests to be included. In the private message please use "Master Debates: Derita" or Master Debates: Besser" as your subject depending on which side you are taking.
Thank you, put on those thinking caps, and good luck.